"I'm still wondering if anyone can explain to me why there are no digital TVs with regular batteries, rather than the built-in lithium ion rechargeable battery. Is it a matter of asthetics, so that the TVs are very small and portable? Or does a digital TV require more power so that this is the best option in terms of function?"

Lizze,
I think the answer runs along these lines. Your old portable TV is still kinda big. It has to have room for the old type of TV screen -- a CRT -- which required a fair amount of depth behind the screen. So there was plenty of space for the designers to place a bunch of D cells. Also, when your TV was made, new battery technology like that found in the new portable digital TV's didn't exist at a reasonable cost.

When current TV manufacturers make a portable TV, they have new technology to use. Namely, flat screens and small rechargeable batteries. They have probably done a fair bit of research that tells them that most people would only use a portable TV on batteries for a limited amount of time and that smaller size was more important for their sales. In time, manufacturers will get around to making TVs for the niches that have been left behind in the rush to get DTVs to the biggest parts of the market.

My old portable TV seems to use 1000 mA and requires 9D batteries. I couldn't find the power use for the new TVs but I would guess it is a bit less.