Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#150012 - 09/24/08 01:34 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the place! [Re: SARbound]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: SARbound
Maybe the guy was just doing an oil change on his old car, and dropped the oil container at some point, and just ran because he was afraid he was going to get billed for the cleanup?

Just a thought...

That is impossible, it's a two story building and the oil was wall to wall on every steps and he also carefully put oil on another section of stairway leading to the appartements in the basement. And when my neighbor arrived from the basement (doing laundery) she saw him pouring it then run away quickly.

Actually the police thought it's a mix, like there was another substance mixed in the oil.

Thanks for the suggestion about a Simplex style lock, I'll suggest it to the owner and my neighbors.

Frankie

#150031 - 09/24/08 05:45 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the pla [Re: Frankie]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A small fire extinguisher is only good for about 15 seconds.

A B/C extinguisher is useful for flammable liquids and organic solvents (the B part), and electrical fires (the C part).

I would stay in contact with the police and fire departments and ask if they have made any discoveries in relation to this incident.

Could this have been an irate previous tenant?

If your landlord doesn't want to install a lock on the door, pin him down and insist on knowing WHY he doesn't want one (maybe as a group). I'm not familiar with lawsuit laws in Canada, but if he takes no steps to prevent a repeat episode, he may be setting himself up for a major personal loss.

Are there any other issues going on with this place? If so, could they be connected?

Sue

#150033 - 09/24/08 06:02 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the pla [Re: Susan]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
See if He will put in a loch if the tenants buy it. Get yourself a few extra fire extinguishers, and make sure the smoke alarm is up to snuff. You may want to install a smoke alarm by the apartment door. Plan on egress besides through the apartment door if needed. Up your renters insurance coverage asap.

#150065 - 09/24/08 11:45 PM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the pla [Re: Stu]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
Be sure you have some safe way out besides your apartment door. Get a rope ladder, for instance.

And look for a new place to live.

#150077 - 09/25/08 12:52 AM Re: A crazy pyromaniac poured oil all over the pla [Re: Susan]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Susan
Are there any other issues going on with this place? If so, could they be connected?

There are many freaks as in all big cities. There was a time when a homeless would sleep and [censored] inside the building. I'm not aware of other particular issues...

Frankie

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 279 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.