Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#149945 - 09/23/08 05:32 PM Molotov Cocktail Fire Starter
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I save everything, really too much stuff! But anyway this is a picture of a couple of small breath mint bottles; they are about ½ ounce in size. I cleaned them out with a spray of starting fluid. I put 1/3 motor oil and 2/3 Zippo lighter fluid in them. It mixes up fine. The lighter fluid lights very easily and the oil keeps the flame going. I guess this is why Terrorist like Molotov Cocktails?

I put a nickel in the picture to give you a better idea of the size of the bottles, they are small, but they work great.

To test how well it worked I went out in the yard and collected some small twigs that always seem to be on the ground. I squirted a pile of twigs, let it soak in for a few seconds. And with the first strike of a fire steel I was rewarded with an instant substantial flame followed by the crackling of the wood burning.

It sure works great as a fire starter. Gasoline could be used in place of the lighter fluid and the exact mix doesn’t seem to be critical.

These things work great and the bottle is small enough to drop several in a pocket or BOB. They have a good tight fitting screw top that doesn’t leak. They are easy to make, cost almost nothing and are easily refilled and used over & over.

I get the breath mint bottles at the dollar store, 3 for $1.00

I’m sure we all throw away lots of small bottles that would work for this idea. Lots of personal items like bathroom shampoo or travel sized bottles come in small portions and the empty containers could be used for this type of thing.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149956 - 09/23/08 08:39 PM Re: Molotov Cocktail Fire Starter [Re: BobS]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
My only concern would be the mess they would make if they started leaking in my backpack.

That is why I like the petroleum jelly smeared cotton balls - which, by the way, can be lit with a sparker. Not sure how safe it would be to light your cocktail with a sparker. Mabye OK.

I've hauled camp soap and Parkay liquid margerine (non-refridgerated butter substitute) and just double-bagged them. Your cocktail would need the same treatment I suppose.

#149964 - 09/23/08 09:20 PM Re: Molotov Cocktail Fire Starter [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd try storing them long term, see how the fluid breaks down the plastic. And maybe give them a little squeeze, a shake, then another squeeze, every day. In three months, we'll check on it's packability.

For this kind of thing, I rather like a glass bio-specimen or perfume vial. They are made to handle this kind of thing, and the heavy duty borosilicate glass lab vials can take a LOT of abuse. I've had them trapped between my boot and tile, and they didn't break.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#149972 - 09/23/08 10:27 PM Re: Molotov Cocktail Fire Starter [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Both oil and lighter fluid are sold and stored in plastic containers. The concern over it’s effect on the plastic is why I went with lighter fluid instead of gasoline.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149974 - 09/23/08 10:41 PM Re: Molotov Cocktail Fire Starter [Re: BobS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: BobS
Both oil and lighter fluid are sold and stored in plastic containers. The concern over it’s effect on the plastic is why I went with lighter fluid instead of gasoline.

One thing to keep in mind: Just because something is stored in a plastic bottle doesn't mean it's safe to all plastics. Lighter fluid and gas will soften/break down certain plastics and not other's. You have to make sure the type of plastic your little bottle is made of is the same stuff the lighter fluid bottle is made of, or an equivelent. I've put lighter fluid in little bottles only to have it eat through a few days/weeks later.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.