Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149894 - 09/22/08 11:25 PM SPL
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Hey all

I know that some of you have sons in Scouts. I have just gotton elected SPL (Senior Patrol Leader) for my troop. I believe that I will do a good job, and I will try my hardest to. We have a VERY Boy led troop and I believe our troop will go through many changes within my term, I hope all of wich for the better.

Just thought I would report whats going on in my life

smile

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#149896 - 09/22/08 11:35 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Congrats climberslacker.

Judging from your posts, they've made a wise choice.

#149897 - 09/22/08 11:35 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Congratulations! It's always nice to see a young person step forward and upward.

Sue

#149901 - 09/23/08 12:02 AM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Congratulations. I am confident that you will be a skilled and visionary leader. I hope that you are blessed with some good followers, for such are rarer even than good leaders.

And remember the serenity prayer for the workplace:

Grant me the serenity to prioritize the things I cannot delegate,

The courage to say "no" when I need to,

And the wisdom to know when to go home.

Good luck, grasshopper.

#149902 - 09/23/08 12:30 AM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Congratulations! I KNOW you will do great.

#149911 - 09/23/08 02:01 AM Re: SPL [Re: aloha]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Congrats! Make sure you pick good ASPLs (if the troop is big enough to need them) and your job will be so much the easier. Also, make sure to use your PLs wisely. Delegation (as you may have already seen) is alot easier than trying to get them all moving by yourself. crazy

#149913 - 09/23/08 03:49 AM Re: SPL [Re: airballrad]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Congrats sir you'll do good.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#149916 - 09/23/08 04:47 AM Re: SPL [Re: samhain]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Congratulations !!!

I second Samhain's thoughts. Do remember to take a deep breath at the proper time and they will follow.

#149936 - 09/23/08 03:39 PM Re: SPL [Re: NightHiker]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Congratulations! You done good.

#149946 - 09/23/08 05:40 PM Re: SPL [Re: Stu]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Congratulations!

Just remember that the basic unit of Scouting is the patrol - not the troop. Healthy troops have healthy patrols.

Make it fun and they will come!

Also, don't forget to deligate jobs out to others.

#149982 - 09/24/08 12:13 AM Re: SPL [Re: Stu]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
good job. My son is five & a half, what age do kids start boy/cub scouts? have great respect for the org. but don't know details like that

#149985 - 09/24/08 01:04 AM Re: SPL [Re: comms]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Congradulations on getting elected SPL. It is good recognition by your peers of your leadership capabilities.

Tiger cubs typically start around 6 years old. Regular cubs start at 7 years old. You should get info passed out in your grade school in September during the first grade year.

#149987 - 09/24/08 01:06 AM Re: SPL [Re: comms]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Cub scout typically starts at around 6 or seven but I don;t recomend putting your kids into that program, as everyone I have ever seen just bores the cub scouts and they tend to lose interest and not join Boy scouts, scouts typically starts at 11 r when they graduate 5th grade

Have you seen the arrow?

#149988 - 09/24/08 01:25 AM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
Seeker890 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Ohio
Don't be too negative. All scouting on the local level is run by volunteers. Mostly parents. They are only as good as their dedication and training.

I started out with 7 youth in my wolf den. I had 9 out of 11 crossover from Webelos to Scouts. Of the original 7 that started out as Wolf together, 4 achieved Eagle. They had their ceremony together.

Cub scouts is a great stepping stone. I would encourage any parent to put their sons in the program. I would also encourage them to be involved as well. BSA is not Baby Sitters of America. Involved parents keep the boys involved.

I will get off my soapbox now.

#150020 - 09/24/08 03:58 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Congratulations on your promotion Climberslacker,

It is evident from your posts on the forum that your are well-versed/enthused in the Outdoor Adventure field and principles of Scouting. I have confidence that you will make a fine Senior Patrol Leader!

Mike

#150043 - 09/24/08 07:16 PM Re: SPL [Re: NightHiker]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Here's my Cub Scout story:

I was the den leader from day one. In the first year each of the parents take turns running "the show", which is good because it spreads out the work and each of them can pick a topic that they like - which makes things better and more fun.

The second year (Wolf) I - the den leader - tried per the BSA plan to do most of it by myself with some help from the assistant den leader. Since both my wife & I work fulltime, it was a nightmare. I struggled to get things ready in time and to keep the quality up. I think I did good, but at the end of the year I knew something had to change.

The third year (Bear) I - the den leader - told the parents that we either needed to go back to something more like the first year's model (each person takes turns each month) or else I needed to step down to let someone else take the lead. They all quickly stepped up to the plate, did great jobs leading month-long programs (I organized them month-to-month and made sure we were getting things done).

This continued through the 4th & 5th years (Webelos) too. The parents were VERY active - each in turn. The boys got very high quality meetings and activities, and my life wasn't ruined by Scouting.

Today I'm entering my 3rd year as an assistant Scoutmaster with my son's Boy Scout troop. My son has some special 'issues', so he'll never be a big time leader, though he's having fun and learning a lot.

I'm pushing as hard as I dare to enforce the boy-lead nature of the troop, to 'try' to get other leaders and parents to help plan for the future, to ask for youth and adult leader training, and to let the boys plan their year's program. Our Scoutmaster just stepped down and now a new dad (his son is in his first year) has been selected as Scoutmaster. I'm already on his back to ensure that things are boy-run and patrol-based. So far so good.

This weekend is the troop's first campout with real patrol boxes and real patrol-owned gear. Too bad the patrol boxes each weigh a ton. We'll all figure things out as we go along.

#150080 - 09/25/08 01:47 AM Re: SPL [Re: KenK]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

A fact'o'life: all patrol boxes weigh a ton... thats why there are older scouts smile

I know that my scoutmaster wouldn't even let his son (one of my best friends) even be a cubby for fear of him quiting. The reason I say that cub scouts are "bad" is not that I am trying to be negative, its just that from what I have seen, and also from what I remember from my child hood, is that it takes some getting used to for the cub scout to get used to actually having to do things, and for the parents, if they go along as an adult leader, wich I recommend, to leave their scouts alone. But this is just what Ive noticed in my 4 years of being a boyscout.

But if you find a good pack/den then go for it as I know that scouting can be fun smile

Have you seen the arrow?

#150103 - 09/25/08 01:47 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

As much as I like the idea of my son getting into Scouts as a Wolf (which would be about 5 years off), I do have to admit that very few of the guys I was in Cubs with lasted very long in the Boy Scouts. And only 2 besides myself made it all the way to Eagle. Now, this may have little to do with them being in Cubs. Some quit after the first camping trip when they were swarmed by mosquitos. Other discovered girls in their early teens and were finished. Cub Scouting is a sufficiently different program that he who loves one may not enjoy the other.
I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when we get there...

#150112 - 09/25/08 02:44 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
and for the parents, if they go along as an adult leader, wich I recommend, to leave their scouts alone.

That is hugely important. big Big BIG!!

In my troop I've become the "let the boys do it" police. And that comes from a guy whose son has some special 'issues'.

BTW I don't like to use the word 'needs', because the only thing he needs is patience from the other Scouts and adults because he can be a bit slow at doing/understanding things and he has a tendancy toward meltdowns when things don't go well - all due to a known medical issue - he really does try hard though.

It is all too common for me to tell a parent/adult leader: "Sit down! Let the Scouts do it" and "As your (senior) patrol leader." Some adults I'll literally have to follow them around and insist that they step back and let the Scouts handle things.

My biggest battles have been with the Troop Committee Chair who wouldn't let the Scouts participate in planning and didn't beleive in training, and to a lesser extent with the Scoutmaster (the Chair's husband) who was great, but didn't give consistent expectations and messages. It was hard for Scouts to keep up with his ever-changing rules & expectations. They both are stepping down. Hopefully the future will be bright.

Scouts are remarkably resourceful and capable IF adults stay back and let them fail a bit and celebrate their successes. Let them get uncomfortable so they'll learn from the experience. Let the older Scouts be the coaches.

We tried doing the New Scout Patrol thing, but we found that the older Troop Guides didnt' hang with the younger Scouts enough for it to work well. Next time we have younger Scouts we'll encourage patrol formation such that it mixes them with older Scouts more. AND we'll have youth leader training within a few weeks of elections.

#150135 - 09/25/08 08:00 PM Re: SPL [Re: Seeker890]
plsander Offline

Originally Posted By: Seeker890

Tiger cubs typically start around 6 years old. Regular cubs start at 7 years old. You should get info passed out in your grade school in September during the first grade year.

Climberslacker - Congratulations and good luck with the SPL position.

Seeker - Tigers are now regular Cubs... they meet with the Pack, have their own dens and den leader. They changed from being a separate thing about 4-5 years back.

Peter
Eagle, Wischixin, Scoutmaster, used to be a Fox...

#150138 - 09/25/08 09:22 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Congrats! *high five*

Sorry I didn't see this when it first went up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150140 - 09/25/08 10:13 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Raise your hand if you see great things in Climberslacker's future!

You should be proud, I know you'll do awesome. Drop me a line when you have your scouts ready to earn their Demolitions merit badge.

-Blast, hand raised.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#150146 - 09/25/08 11:32 PM Re: SPL [Re: KenK]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: KenK
We tried doing the New Scout Patrol thing, but we found that the older Troop Guides didnt' hang with the younger Scouts enough for it to work well. Next time we have younger Scouts we'll encourage patrol formation such that it mixes them with older Scouts more. AND we'll have youth leader training within a few weeks of elections.

In my experience, this can go the other way too. It depends on what (who) you have to work with. When I was about 14 I was set up as Troop Guide for the newly bridged over guys. I had a younger brother right about their age, and I think that helped me communicate well with them. So we all got along swimmingly, I got to show off all I had learned, and show them the ropes. By the next year, I was off to be SPL and that group mostly stuck around intact. We even got a couple Eagles from them. I also inadvertantly set myself up to get voted into OA my first year of eligibility because I had a large fanbase. grin

However, I can also see it going the other way; I suspect it depends on the guys you have to work with.

#150153 - 09/26/08 04:09 AM Re: SPL [Re: airballrad]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
How's that saying go, "Demolitions Expert at work, if you see me running, try to keep up..."

Congrats on the SPL promotion.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#150164 - 09/26/08 12:12 PM Re: SPL [Re: airballrad]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Congrats Slacker, I know you'll make us proud.

My two oldest started Cubs last year as Wolf's and Bears, so now we have a Bear and a Webelos (Webelo? Webelum?) plus #3 son who is a Tiger.

We have some experienced and dedicated parents involved as leaders so last year went pretty well. I don't push the boys on the acheivements because "we don't need no stinkin' merit badges", we just want them to have some fun. If they want the Poultry Beltloop or the Arrohead of Elightenment they're going to have to figure out how to earn it.

I have some reservations about this Tiger thing. The manual says they use "shared leadership" which is as much of an oxymoron as I've ever heard.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#150174 - 09/26/08 03:35 PM Re: SPL [Re: thseng]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: thseng
I have some reservations about this Tiger thing. The manual says they use "shared leadership" which is as much of an oxymoron as I've ever heard.

Like I said, the shared leadership thing - as it was - worked very well for my son's den for 4 of the 5 years. I did the orchestration - defining the topics, giving target dates, and making sure things were set as promised - but the other parents (and myself when it was my turn) did the heavy lifting in preparation for topic presentations/activities and selection/coordination of trips.

I simply could not have done it any other way. It also helped the youth and the parents to get to know the other parents much better, and I think keeping the parents more involved was a great thing. Most of those parents are still involved in my son's troop. Right now they include two assistant Scoutmasters, the troop committee chair, the treasurer, and the activities chair. Active parents are great!!

#150190 - 09/26/08 08:13 PM Re: SPL [Re: KenK]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Oh, I thought this was gonna be about sound pressure level :p
Congrats though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.