Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#150138 - 09/25/08 09:22 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Congrats! *high five*

Sorry I didn't see this when it first went up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150140 - 09/25/08 10:13 PM Re: SPL [Re: climberslacker]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Raise your hand if you see great things in Climberslacker's future!

You should be proud, I know you'll do awesome. Drop me a line when you have your scouts ready to earn their Demolitions merit badge.

-Blast, hand raised.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#150146 - 09/25/08 11:32 PM Re: SPL [Re: KenK]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: KenK
We tried doing the New Scout Patrol thing, but we found that the older Troop Guides didnt' hang with the younger Scouts enough for it to work well. Next time we have younger Scouts we'll encourage patrol formation such that it mixes them with older Scouts more. AND we'll have youth leader training within a few weeks of elections.

In my experience, this can go the other way too. It depends on what (who) you have to work with. When I was about 14 I was set up as Troop Guide for the newly bridged over guys. I had a younger brother right about their age, and I think that helped me communicate well with them. So we all got along swimmingly, I got to show off all I had learned, and show them the ropes. By the next year, I was off to be SPL and that group mostly stuck around intact. We even got a couple Eagles from them. I also inadvertantly set myself up to get voted into OA my first year of eligibility because I had a large fanbase. grin

However, I can also see it going the other way; I suspect it depends on the guys you have to work with.

#150153 - 09/26/08 04:09 AM Re: SPL [Re: airballrad]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
How's that saying go, "Demolitions Expert at work, if you see me running, try to keep up..."

Congrats on the SPL promotion.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#150164 - 09/26/08 12:12 PM Re: SPL [Re: airballrad]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Congrats Slacker, I know you'll make us proud.

My two oldest started Cubs last year as Wolf's and Bears, so now we have a Bear and a Webelos (Webelo? Webelum?) plus #3 son who is a Tiger.

We have some experienced and dedicated parents involved as leaders so last year went pretty well. I don't push the boys on the acheivements because "we don't need no stinkin' merit badges", we just want them to have some fun. If they want the Poultry Beltloop or the Arrohead of Elightenment they're going to have to figure out how to earn it.

I have some reservations about this Tiger thing. The manual says they use "shared leadership" which is as much of an oxymoron as I've ever heard.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#150174 - 09/26/08 03:35 PM Re: SPL [Re: thseng]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: thseng
I have some reservations about this Tiger thing. The manual says they use "shared leadership" which is as much of an oxymoron as I've ever heard.

Like I said, the shared leadership thing - as it was - worked very well for my son's den for 4 of the 5 years. I did the orchestration - defining the topics, giving target dates, and making sure things were set as promised - but the other parents (and myself when it was my turn) did the heavy lifting in preparation for topic presentations/activities and selection/coordination of trips.

I simply could not have done it any other way. It also helped the youth and the parents to get to know the other parents much better, and I think keeping the parents more involved was a great thing. Most of those parents are still involved in my son's troop. Right now they include two assistant Scoutmasters, the troop committee chair, the treasurer, and the activities chair. Active parents are great!!

#150190 - 09/26/08 08:13 PM Re: SPL [Re: KenK]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Oh, I thought this was gonna be about sound pressure level :p
Congrats though.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 494 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.