CANOEDOGS, I went with the ACR Firefly2 Waterbug http://www.afmo.com/ACR_Firefly2_Waterbug_p/218-00032.htm , you can get them cheaper if you Google it but it has its advantages.
1. waterproof to 200 feet
2. 2 modes of operation,
1st mode is water activated, if you fall over it will automatically strobe for 8 hours on 2 AA batteries.
The second mode is if you turn it on on land you can lick your fingers and activate it by touching the two contacts on land and once it turns on it won't stop until you turn it off.
3. AA batteries and durable

Another thing I carry is a diver Signal Marker Buoy, which I attach the strobe to the top of it while in the water which allows the strobe to be seen above wave height. If your happy with your strobe then just add the SMB to your kit and attach the strobe to the top of it when in the water. I like the water bug because if I fall in the water unconscious then it fires off automatically. If you do get one, get one that's 5 feet or greater, the taller it is the more the visibility.

SMB Link

Another source of SMB's

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, the strobe is attached to the top of the SMB (Surface Marker Buoy) and allows your strobe to be seen over small wave heights up to 5 to 6 feet. The SMB with strobe and a dive alert for noise allowed me to be seen when my dive boat decided to go back in shore without accounting for people. It was the day I should have played the lottery because a boat was fishing in that area and saw me. That day I cashed out one of my 9 lives, so I know it does work in choppy waters.