The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149837 - 09/22/08 01:29 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: colbyhouse]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I have a zip-type from Western Belt. I consider it a good way to increase what you have with you every day without bulking out your pockets. I also like to think it has a chance of staying with me if I get mugged.

The space available in this type is very small. I have some paper clips, a short ferro rod, striker and tinder. It is not really accessible in a hurry. There isn't room for, eg, a photon freedom, or a 1 litre plastic bag. I also carry money in it, and it's surprising how much space that takes up, especially if you use small, spendable denominations. $100 bills may not be the best form of cash in an emergency.

Apparently stuff in cheaper belts can "print through" the material to leave a visible outline. I've not had that problem, perhaps because my belt has a plastic strip inside the pocket.

#149857 - 09/22/08 04:03 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: colbyhouse]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Nice idea... several of the 'custom' holster makers will have on hand or will make a belt too. However, they will be high dollar examples. Another idea is multi pocket pants. Dockers used to make a nice pair of such pants and some can still be found on e-bay. The same style of pants is now made by 5.11 clothing. Here's the web site:
http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/Pants/Casual-Pants/Covert-Khaki-Pants/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10100:10104/I/74269

They also make lots of other designs and jeans too. The quality is good and they can often be found in 'law enforcement' catalogues and websites at a discount. This may be a more practical approach then relying on just a belt - maybe a combination of the two?

Paul -
smile

#149859 - 09/22/08 04:33 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: Fleetwing]
Jared Offline
Stranger

Loc: DC
The Pro Survival Kit Company's "Multi-Purpose Belt" is indeed $25 and can be found here:

http://prosurvivalkit.stores.yahoo.net/mube.html

They also link to Equipped to Survive.

#149860 - 09/22/08 04:35 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: pforeman]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
If you absolutely have to have a grappling hook for your Baman survival kit, these are really small.

http://countycomm.com/hook.htm

http://countycomm.com/microhook.htm

I think I need one, but I don't know why... I'm trying to come up with a reason.

#149871 - 09/22/08 07:34 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Using a grappling hook is far more desirable than laying on your belly with your arm dangling in the sewage stream trying to fish out the line.

That qualifies for one of those Ernest P. Worell jaw jutting wrinkle faced type "Eeeeewwwww!!!" expressions.

Know what I mean, vern?

#149872 - 09/22/08 07:36 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: ]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I made the mistake of ignoring warnings on this forum that the buckle on the eagle creek 'regular belt with a long zippered pocket hidden behind' was too flimsy. It soon broke.
The Sock

#149880 - 09/22/08 08:14 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: Matt]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Matt
I think I need one, but I don't know why... I'm trying to come up with a reason.

That’s the story of my life with a lot of things I see…… blush

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149895 - 09/22/08 11:26 PM Re: Survival Belt [Re: benjammin]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: benjammin
For me, stuff hanging around my midsection gets hung up too easily. But that's just me.

I tried a fanny pack when i was working in a big busy trauma center that had
thrown in the towel on trying to get any of us prima donna's to stock the
rooms-usually had a multi-tool, the stock needed for an iv access and cardiac
workup blood draw, tape, and maybe a water bottle, cuz if you left your drink on
the counter someone would squirt some Lasix into it, or a one of our fragrant
drunks would grab a slurp on his way by.
My problem was that my butt was already wider than it needed to be, and adding a fanny pack brought me to the level of requiring marker lights and a lead car marked "wide load", which was disruptive to normal ER traffic. I shifted to stuffing my pockets, and had a colleague who wore a fishing vest. the vest is a swell idea, harking back to the nurse who followed Lord Lister around with a
pocketed leather apron and an atomizer of carbolic acid for asepsis. The
downside is that you look like an embedded correspondent from Iraq, or an stunt
double for "a river runs through it'. Eventually i came to embrace the Tao of
the er which dictates that, for a procedure requiring four items, each item will
be in a different room, and will have a backup supply located in a stock room
as far from the er as possible, while remaining in the same building.
It’s not like we are in a hurry to do this stuff.

#150068 - 09/25/08 12:03 AM Re: Survival Belt [Re: colbyhouse]
Farmer Offline

Loc: Mid-Atlantic
Dickies also makes several types of pants with "cargo" pockets. I love my 5.11's, but they don't have a crease. The Dickies don't have as much room in the pockets, but they do look a bit dressier. And they're work pants so they last.

The trouble with a belt kit is that you can't keep anything of useful size in it. Take each thing that you plan to put in the belt, and use it. Once you've tried all the little things, you'll start looking at other carry options.

How about adapting an inside-the-belt pistol holster to be an emergency kit, for instance?

#150154 - 09/26/08 04:28 AM Re: Survival Belt [Re: Farmer]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
The "Wilderness 5-Stitch Instructors Belt" is my favorite.

http://www.thewilderness.com/

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/WILDERNESSBELT/Wilderness_1_12_5_Stitch_Instructors_Belt.html

If you intend to carry a firearm, get the "5-stitch" model. It is a webbing belt that is stiff enough to support an inside or outside waistband holster - no problem. The buckle is steel and you can clip a carabiner to it and use it for a "high places" security rig.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 268 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
Today at 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.