Environment:
I live in the southeastern Unites States where the temperatures are mild mostly year round. We don’t experience earthquakes or blizzards, but the possibility exists for the usual dangers of any populated area such as fires, storms, civil disorders, chemical spills, radiation hazards, terrorism, or other crisis that might render one’s primary dwelling unsafe.

Lifestyle:
I live in a suburb approximately 30 miles from a major city. The area is somewhat rural, with moderate population density. I do not commute to my job, but instead work from my home office exclusively. I have a robust network of friends and family varying distances from me to serve as safe-houses, and medical facilities within walking distance.

Conclusions:
Based on these parameters, should the need to bug out arise, I would not be trying to set up camp in the wilderness for extended periods (I save that for the weekends). Rather, I would simply need a minimum of gear pre-packed and close at hand to toss in the car (or leave on foot) and proceed to an appropriate friend or family’s house. Under this scenario, it doesn’t seem necessary to take all of my backpacking equipment such as water filter, cooking gear, tent, etc. With that in mind:

A.) Are there scenarios (short of the end of the world as we know it, AND within the specific parameters that I’ve described above) that I’m not considering?
B.) Does the following equipment list seem appropriate?

This list includes my every day carry items, which are always either on my person or wrapped in a bandana on the bedside to grab and go. Non-every day carry items are kept in a backpack nearby; specifically, a CamelBak Blowfish day pack with 100 oz. Omega water reservoir.

· Personal Survival Kit in Altoids tin with all the trimmings

DOCUMENTATION & MONETARY
· Wallet (ID, cash, credit cards, insurance cards, emergency contact info)
· Coin purse (coins=$.25x4, $.10x2, $.05x1, $.01x4)
· Scans of important household documents on mini-CD
· “Pocket Ref” by Thomas J. Glover (conversion tables, knots, mapping, weather charts)

MEDICAL
· First Aid Kit (sterile dressings, roller gauze, adhesive bandages, medical tape, antibiotic ointment, moleskin, Imodium, Motrin, Tylenol)
· First Aid Emergency Handbook

SUSTENANCE
· 100 oz water in CamelBak
· 2-3 Clif Bars

REPAIR
· Sewing/Repair Kit (needles, thread, buttons, safety pins)
· Stick of hot melt glue
· Small roll of duct tape
· Large wire ties

COMMUNICATIONS
· PDA / wireless phone combo
· Motorola Talkabout T5300 2-way radios (pair - 2 mile range)
· Sangean DT300VW radio (TV/AM/FM receiver with weather band)
· Fox 40 whistle
· Starflash 2x3 in. unbreakable signal mirror
· Fisher Bullet Space Pen
· Fisher 3"x5" waterproof tactical notebook

NAVIGATION
· Suunto Clipper compass w/luminous ratcheting bezel
· Petzl Zipka LED headlamp w/ 3 extra AAA batteries
· Princeton Tec Pulsar II LED micro light, blue

PERSONAL PROTECTION
· Rain jacket: Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka
· Rain pants: Red Ledge Thunderlight Full-Zip Pants
· Nylon baseball cap
· 2 disposable plastic ponchos
· Aluminized polyethylene emergency bag
· Large garbage bag
· Red bandana
· Disposable dust mask
· Leather work gloves
· Sunglasses with retainer strap
· Sunscreen
· Bug repellant

TOOLS
· Leatherman Micra multi-tool
· Pliers, slip-joint
· Pliers, needle-nose
· Screwdriver (multiple bits in handle)
· P-38 pocket can opener

HYGIENE & HEATLH
· Hygeine Kit (Campsuds, toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, shaving oil, deodorant, lip balm, etc.)
· Camp towel and small cotton washcloth
· Multivitamins

MISC. ESSENTIALS
· Keys (house, car)
· Wristwatch (solar-powered, waterproof)
· Bic butane mini lighter
· Spare bandana
· Credit card-sized fresnel lens
· 40 ft. of "550 lb." mil-spec paracord
· 48 ft. of 40 lb. nylon rope w/carabiner attached