Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149345 - 09/17/08 02:21 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Grouch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
If you extracted all the BPA, the container would disintegrate. BPA is a constituent that helps keep the container molecularly bound.

#149347 - 09/17/08 02:40 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Grouch]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Grouch
I wonder if it would be possible to extract all of the BPA by boiling the container for an extended amount of time.

No. Polycarbonate is a polymer, which means that it's basically a repeating chain of smaller chemical compounds. In this case, that smaller compound is BPA so you can't just boil it away because that's what the bottle is essentially made of. Put another way, that Nalgene bottle in your hand is basically one big hunk of BPA.

Heating polycarbonate just makes it break down faster and leech into any water or food next to it. So does physical damage like being knocked around or scratched. The age of the polycarbonate also affects the leeching rate. Actually, those of you who have been using the same Nalgene for many, many years, it's likely that it is leeching far more BPA than a brand new bottle--if you're worried about such things.

#149358 - 09/17/08 03:58 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Thanks for the explanations, benjammin and Arney. I didn't realize that BPA was the main ingredient.

#149360 - 09/17/08 04:25 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Grouch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My wonder is long term sotrage bottles, say one of those big relaince jugs. Lets say _IF_ they use BPA and _IF_ BPA does in fact turn out to be harmful our stores water sits a long time in jugs so it has a long time to leach into the water.

#149361 - 09/17/08 04:29 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Eugene]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Eugene
My wonder is long term sotrage bottles, say one of those big relaince jugs. Lets say _IF_ they use BPA and _IF_ BPA does in fact turn out to be harmful our stores water sits a long time in jugs so it has a long time to leach into the water.

Along those same lines, I wonder if residual BPA can be removed by our filters.

#149362 - 09/17/08 04:31 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Eugene]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Eugene
My wonder is long term sotrage bottles, say one of those big relaince jugs.

Those containers aren't made of polycarbonate. They're high density polyethylene (HDPE), that translucent, somewhat soft plastic that they make things like bicycle water bottles out of. HDPE is generally considered safe.

#149364 - 09/17/08 04:47 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Themalemutekid]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
I don't wear tinfoil hats nor do I hug trees , but the bottom line is: Disposable plastic bottles are most definitely bad for our environment & quite possibly bad for our health. So why contribute more trash to our landfills?? And why consume more chemicals into our bodies, when there are better alternatives out there?

Not sure about this, but one article indicated that the bpa plastics were labeled on the bottom as recycling #7. Most of the disposable plastic bottles I have seen are labeled #1. Recycling the disposables as replacements for bpa-bearing vessels may actually be a solution to the BPA problem.

Disposable plastic containers are indeed a blight on the world. BPA might be a blight on the world. But they seem to be different blights. The stainless steel bottles are fine, but spendy, which represents a different bottom line.

I do wear tinfoil hats, occasionally.

Edited by nursemike (09/17/08 04:48 PM)

#149368 - 09/17/08 05:03 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: nursemike]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: nursemike
I do wear tinfoil hats, occasionally.

Better check to make sure that the tinfoil contains nothing harmful.

#149374 - 09/17/08 05:42 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Grouch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
For long term water storage, I've always preferred glass or ceramic jugs.

#149420 - 09/17/08 10:03 PM Re: Study: Some Water Bottles Linked to Diabetes [Re: Grouch]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Grouch

Better check to make sure that the tinfoil contains nothing harmful.

Actually, it's aluminum foil, and aluminum has been linked to Alzheimers. Too, it contains me, and I have been linked to all kinds of harmful foolishness. Alzheimers? Bah, I laugh at...something...can't remember what...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 420 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.