The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149066 - 09/16/08 01:03 AM EDC Knife Sharpener
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
Howdy, long time reader - first time poster. Finally got me a question that doesn't seem to be covered anywhere else, although there's an article kinna close on equipped.org. Anyway, here it is.

If you EDC a knife sharpener, which one?

Thanks in advance,

#149067 - 09/16/08 01:09 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Stoney]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep an "Idiot Proof" knife sharpener that has a plastic handle w/a plastic guard in my BoB. I just have to drag the edge through the "V" of tungsten carbide and it sharpens, cleans up knicks, etc.

Knife sharpening is 1 of my short-comings but this is simple, light weight, & above all, "Idiot Proof"!

Edited by wildman800 (09/16/08 01:10 AM)

#149070 - 09/16/08 01:29 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Stoney]
Woodsloafer Offline

Loc: Upstate NewYork
Somehow, carrying a knife sharpener as EDC is a bit like carrying a cleaning kit with your EDC handgun.

I carry a DMT Mini-Sharp diamond sharpener or a Smith's carbide/ceramic/diamond unit in my day pack when in the bush.

#149071 - 09/16/08 01:32 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: wildman800]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
I used to carry a Eze Lap Diamond Sharpener (little diamond file). But since then I've eliminated the need by switching to a Leatherman Juice XE6 which has a diamond file.

Neither is a great sharpening option, but it is more there as a just-in-case than anything. I don't think I've ever needed to use either one so far.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/16/08 01:36 AM)

#149078 - 09/16/08 02:56 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: JohnN]
morto Offline

Loc: Melton, Victoria, Australia
I carry the Eze Lap sharpener, I also carry a ceramic rod.
As previously stated this may not be the ideal way to keep blades in top condition but it does the job in the field. At home is where I use other tools to work on my blades.

#149079 - 09/16/08 03:26 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: morto]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
For portable sharpening I just use a flat stone. I also have a small wedge of wood (Oak) I made to the angle I wanted to sharpen my knifes to. It’s made for a 25 deg angle. It works as a guide and helps keep them at the same angle I use when I sharpen them with my Lansky sharpener.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149086 - 09/16/08 04:24 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: BobS]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I see absolutely no reason to EDC a sharpener. I have EDC'd my same blade for 2+ years maybe more I forget. I just now sharpened / re-did the edge on it last week.

It was TOTALLY dull. I had used it for marking steel, cutting wire, and anything in between.. even scratching concrete. This is an EDC after all and I really really abused / used it for what I needed. Now that it's sharp again I love it again smile But I see NO REASON to EDC a sharpener whatsoever.

Leave it at home, pack more water...

On the same note about blades... I have a mini-griptilian and was going to EDC that but my 'spring assisted' opening blade is much nicer for me. I may get a Ritter griptillian (full size) eventually actually to try it out as I really like the griptillian design. Not to sure how D2 of my mini or the material the RItter is made outof will handle my abuse. The AUS8 right now is a good 'in between' for my EDC.

#149087 - 09/16/08 04:30 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: BobS]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I have a mini sharpening steel that is attached to my SAK. Works well in a pinch.

#149098 - 09/16/08 04:58 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: stevenpd]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I have a few that I like:

DMT Mini-sharp [~$11.00] (Specifically the Blue, and sometimes Red, one of these.)

Smith's DRET [~$7.00] (Gerber also has a version that seems to be exactly the same, but in silver and black)

(^note: This is one sharpener, but it has two sides. The pointy end and the rounded end.^)

Smith's PP1 [~$12.00]

The DMT seems to put the best edge on my plain edge blades, but the other two provide a perfectly serviceable edge and will also sharpen serrated blades, which is a nice touch. I have a few DRETs stashed throughout my gear because they're cheap, easy to get (walmart), and it's very versatile.

The only thing I don't like about them is over time they do wear out (I guess all the diamond dust comes off), but they do last for a very long time. However, I guess if I was planning on spending a few years out in the bush I think I might rather have a simple old-fashioned "Arkansas Stone." They don't work as fast as the diamond stones/rods, but they do seem to last longer.

#149103 - 09/16/08 05:20 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Paul810]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I EDC a very small Eze-Lap keychain diamond sharpener (with key chain removed), that I tuck into a small slot on my mini-kit pouch.

Be careful with this small sharpener, it is very easy to cut your support hand when using it (learned the hard way).

This sharpener can be seen here http://www.pacwestoutdoors.com/eze-lap-key-chain-sharpener-75.html

Mike

#149122 - 09/16/08 11:31 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: SwampDonkey]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Or the Chris response:

Don't edc what you don't need. Find a suitable stone or cobble, or a ceramic coffee mug, or an emery board, or a nail file. There's bound to be something nearby that will serve to touch up your Knife edge enough to keep you going. Be practical.

As for me, I tote one of them there $4 tungsten carbide sharpeners like what wildman uses, when I think I will need to. Then when I get the chance, I will put the edge to the wheel at home and polish it back to plumb.

#149135 - 09/16/08 12:46 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Stoney]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have an EZE-Lap Sportsmans Hone that I carry daily, mainly because there is a spot in the "cordura" pouch that my Leatherman Wave sits in. The pouch also has a slot that houses a Mini-Mag 3W LED light (or any AA light). I don't used the sharpener all that often, but it is there if/when I need it. It gets used from time to time for things other than sharpening the knife too. I can not imagine going two years between shapenings...

#149142 - 09/16/08 01:11 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Stoney]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I EDC a Sterling Classic because I have the room in my pocket and dull knives very frequently. I agree that heading out in the woods and use a rock or what have you but my main reason I carry mine is for work because I don't have time to hunt stones down and put water on them and sharpen them.

Very small and compact

http://www.sterlingsharpener.com/catalog/item/4860538/4895123.htm

I've owned a Smith's PP1 but stopped carrying it, too bulky and the sterling did a better job anyway.

#149143 - 09/16/08 01:13 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: SwampDonkey]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I've got a small stone in my S.O.S. Pouch that I keep my Swisschamp in, so its no "extra" space. I also have a small stone from Countycomm on my keyring that I like better and believe it to be a "better" stone. In my go bag I have a triangular ceramic rod, forget who makes it...

-Bill Liptak

#149238 - 09/16/08 08:49 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: Stoney]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Are you kidding? I thought we all EDC so many knives that we can just keep using a fresh one. Who has room for a sharpener?

#149272 - 09/17/08 12:57 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: ratbert42]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I don't EDC carry stones but usually have them in my car as my coworkers will ask for touchups.....the EDC set that I'd take if I had no other choice.....the DMT diamond stones.....

#149274 - 09/17/08 01:25 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: CJK]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I took apart a ceramic hone item and wound up with 2 ceramic rods that are about the same size as the BSA ferrocerrium rod-fits in the DRPSK. Also have a couple of 30 year old hone-steels like this only less so-they look like little prybars. They work well for dressing the edge, and discourage me from using the knife as a prybar.

#149297 - 09/17/08 02:55 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...took apart..."

My late ex father in law once remove a couple of rods from a water heater. They looked a lot like the ceramic rods used for knife sharpening, and worked well for that. I assume that they were anode rods or something, but don't know for sure...

#149424 - 09/17/08 11:28 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: CJK]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Saw this on amazon.com, DMT D3EFC 3" Dia-Sharp® Sharpener, Credit Card Sized- Extra-Fine, Fine and Coarse Diamond, for 8.74

And while i don't have this set i do use a DMT double sided sharpener that works well.

Standard Disclaimer

#149436 - 09/18/08 01:13 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: RayW]
REDDOG79 Offline

Loc: ENGLEWOOD ,TN
I carry one of these every day in my left back pocket along with my handkerchief It takes up very little room and I have been carryiong one of these for around 8 years or so. It is my main sharpening tool as I only use my stones at home when the edge is really damaged or needs to be reshaped. I wear out about one a year and I believe i found them at Lowe's. Mine is carried in a leather pouch that in my opoinion is much better then the nylon one that ocmes with it (The leather puch was how they came when i first started buying these) The first ones were made by EZE-LAP now i use the smith's as they are what i have been able to find

Edited by REDDOG79 (09/18/08 01:16 AM)
Edit Reason: image wouldn't work the first time

#149440 - 09/18/08 01:43 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: ratbert42]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: ratbert42
Are you kidding? I thought we all EDC so many knives that we can just keep using a fresh one. Who has room for a sharpener?

When a buddy of mine got married, I gave him one of those "chef's choice" kitchen knife sharpeners. He said he didn't need it, because their relatives gave them about 5 knife sets. "Honey, this knife is dull." "Ok, get another out of the closet."

#149508 - 09/18/08 06:16 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: GoatRider]
mtngoat Offline
Stranger

I carry a sharpening kit it has: 3" Coarse, Fine , & Extra Fine DMT Diamond stones, a 5" ceramic rod and a tungstun carbid "v" sharpener for when the blade is really dull. I never usually have to hit about 3 strokes on the ceramic for my knives.

goat

#149807 - 09/22/08 01:54 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: mtngoat]
gitarmac Offline

I have switched to convex edge blades. I use a leather strop, and occasionally fine (800-1500) sandpaper. I've seen some altoids cans made into portable sharpners and I just scored me a new altoids can so I am going to make one and try it out. I'm concerned it might be too short.

But no matter, a piece of cardboard loaded with stropping compound, a leather belt, fine sandpaper, your pantlet, all can be used to strop the convex edge.

#149847 - 09/22/08 02:51 PM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: gitarmac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Does a firesteel rod have any abrasive qualities? Wondering if it could be used as a sharpener.

I'm in the camp that says if you have a decent knife, it is kept reasonably sharp, and you watch what you use your knife on, then you shouldn't really need to EDC a sharpener. Still, it would seem that carrying some fine sandpaper would be about as compact and useful as anyting I can think of - for the short term.

Then again, I'm finding myself to be a relative minimalist when when it comes to EDC and even when it comes to a survival kit ... more in line with Peter Kummerfeldt's philosophy. Here is Peter's site http://www.outdoorsafe.com/index.htm

#149905 - 09/23/08 12:42 AM Re: EDC Knife Sharpener [Re: KenK]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: KenK
Does a firesteel rod have any abrasive qualities? Wondering if it could be used as a sharpener

I’d just end up cutting myself and setting myself on fire trying that out. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.