Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149055 - 09/15/08 11:28 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Grouch]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I have the 32 oz bottles and the threads work the same as a nalgine. These are awesome bottles and I don't think you can go wrong, I think you'll love them.

#149129 - 09/16/08 12:07 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: falcon5000]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Wow, I had never seen the Guyot stainless bottle before. Looks excellent! Glad I posted about the Klean Kanteen so I could inadvertently learn about the Guyot! smile

#149133 - 09/16/08 12:26 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I own the 32oz Guyot Bottle....It's built like a tank...I highly recommend it.

#149139 - 09/16/08 01:01 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Yes you can't go wrong with the Guyot stainless bottle, I own 3 myself (1 for work,1 for BOB,1 for traveling). You can boil water in them with no problem and they are built solid. They will also directly screw in to my water filter and MSR dromedary bag yet wide enough mouth to put the steripen in. I think the steripen may work even better in the ss bottles because of the reflectivity of the UV, but it's speculation. I've had both nalgine and ss (stainless steel) and after drinking water out of a ss, I'll never go back. Definitively better water taste for me and my water stays colder longer as well. It is also a non insulating bottle so you can boil water in them. I've done it on a electric stove, a fire, a camping gas stove and with a propane torch. Guyot is also a great company to deal with as well, I've had a lot of positive experience with them and continue to buy from them.

#149252 - 09/16/08 10:48 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: clearwater]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'll deign to answer this.

On the lead question, not a worry. Guyot is very picky about QC.

Yes, it is imported. And if an American owned company with an American designer's imported product is the superior one to one made in the US, I'll go with them. Heck, if it is the superior product, PERIOD, I'll with it. I'm a functionalist, not a jingoist- if the US can't keep up as a nation, we deserve whatever we get.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#149255 - 09/16/08 10:57 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: ironraven]
Hookpunch Offline

Best water bottles I have used are these...stainless steel vacuum bottles by Thermos. I have left them in my car on a hot day for hourss and they will keep my water cold no problem.

Thermos water bottle

Edited by Hookpunch (09/17/08 12:28 AM)

#149263 - 09/16/08 11:39 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Hookpunch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Click that little picture next to the happy face just above the text window and then insert the link in the first pane and the text you want to show in the second pane. Click that link and it takes you to the "Thermos Stainless Steel Hydration Bottle" website you wanted to post.

#149675 - 09/20/08 10:06 AM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Russ]
MedicineMan Offline

Loc: upper east TN
Kleen canteen-mouth not wide enough to store things in--I've seen some nice kits made using a wider mouth bottle e.g. nalgene.
The advantage of being able to boil water in it is moot considering all you can do readily is boil water in it...a simple pot allows far greater variety in cooking where you might need to get legs/ribs whatever in the pot and moreso cleaning afterward....I say spend the money on a nice pot like a MSR Titan...trendy at best. But somewhere out there someone has a nalgene shaped metal bottle with a wide mouth, a better choice I think.

#149676 - 09/20/08 10:51 AM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I wish I'd known about the Klean Kanteen and Guyot SS bottles when I picked up my Sigg Bottles. I probably would have gone with one of the former two instead.

Right now I carry 2 1 liter Sigg bottles with thermal covers. The covers insulate pretty well for thin neoprene and it fills out the bulk so that I can slip Olicamp cups over the ends.

#150022 - 09/24/08 04:24 PM Re: nice stainless steel water bottle [Re: Russ]
riprater Offline
Stranger

As many people have mentioned, you can boil water in one of these stainless bottles. Of course a dedicated pot or canteen cup works better for cooking or purifying water. Here is something that has not been brought up though. Every time I go backpacking and it drops below freezing, I am having to sleep with my water bottles in my sleeping bag to try to keep them from freezing. In one of these stainless bottles, if it does accidentally freeze, you can place it on top of a stove or fire to melt the ice inside the bottle. You can't do that with a polycarbonate bottle...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 338 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
06/16/24 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.