Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#148961 - 09/15/08 02:33 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: Eugene]
SirJoel Offline

Hey Jim - Any chance you would share that spreadsheet with the group? I think it could be a big help for some of us.

thanks

#148965 - 09/15/08 02:40 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: Eugene]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I had a SUV for years. Sometimes hidden in plan site is best. Instead of stuffing a dozen items in different areas of the vehicles that you may or may not be able to access due to time or urgency, do what I did.

Pack up your gear into a your carry bag (backpack, duffel, etc) and then put the bag in a beat up cardboard box to sit in your cargo area. Maybe even write, 'Goodwill' or 'Books' in bold letters on the side. You should be able to get your kit into a 12x12 box.

#148987 - 09/15/08 04:29 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: DFW]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I saw a really bad adventure/action movie in the '80s something about Remo, the adventure begins... anyway the point in his "kill all the bad guys" training was you always had a weapon. We all have the primary survival tool with us at all times & that's our brain. The more training, education and experience you have the better.

While I've got a 'get home' bag and/or BOB as the situation warrants in my truck all the time; were I not able to get to it, I can adapt what I find to help me cope with whatever situation develops. So I try to be aware of my area of operation and what is usually around that I can grab and use what is there if there is nothing else I can do and an emergency develops.

Think 'outside the box' about everyday items. Example: when I worked in a prison, my #2 pencil was a last ditch weapon if I needed it so it was always sharp and parked on my left ear - nobody ever noticed it and I could put it into a vital spot in a second if needed - old corrections officer trick. I also would be able to write with it, use it for tinder (shavings) lube locks (graphite in the 'lead') use the eraser to plug up a hole in something... you get the idea. Also, while I've been an EMT, officer, instructor and such and don't "need it" my company is going to offer CPR next month and I'll sign up to take it - it will be a great refresher for me and a chance to practice my skill set. It's mostly a head game and if you have your head on straight, you have the best chance to "win" the survival game!

Paul -
smile

#149028 - 09/15/08 09:11 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: NightHiker]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
+1 on gear being secondary.

As long as you EDC some cash, flashlight, knife and lighter, I doubt lack of equipment will be your downfall.

P.S. Maybe add a gun to that...

www.kravmagafederation.com

#149151 - 09/16/08 01:38 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: Rodion]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've been trying to practice the MacGyver stop gap method of preparedness. More and more I find myself trying to identify things in my immediate environment that I can utilize for survival needs, and plugging the holes in those requirements with a reduced level of edc.

My back has been griping at me about the load I am packing daily now, including this infernally large laptop and power supply (a late model Dell Precision Cad-quality machine). I've cut my FAK down because I have a fuller version in the pick-up and the work box is even more robust. I don't carry as much food with me because I have too many food and water sources nearby. Much of the rest I can improvise with available supplies, or I've ratholed special items on location enough that I am confident I can get to better sources if need be.

Anymore, a good multi tool, a good flashlight, and a good lighter is about it for survival gear for me.

I'll probably change my mind when I get moved permanently to Denver. Who knows.

#149152 - 09/16/08 01:51 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I know how you're feeling, benjammin.

That is the point of those "I Spy From my Perch" postings that I make every once in a while.

#149155 - 09/16/08 01:56 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: benjammin]
riprater Offline
Stranger

I agree a good multi tool, flashlight and lighter is a good base of edc. I think a good whistle is one of the most under rated edc items out there, along with a bright red bandana. I heard some one once refer to their preparedness as a layering system. Your mind being the first, your edc--what you have on you and carry in your pockets the next layer. Then a more comprehensive "layer" in a BOB stored in a vehicle...etc. If you have a chance, you might check out www.edcforums.com for some good beta. Thanks for reading

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 214 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Customizing Your Medical Kit
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/13/24 04:31 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Doug_Ritter
08/11/24 10:37 PM
Safety pin
by Ren
07/24/24 10:53 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.