The latest information is one of the switch tracks was not closed, apparently forced out of position by the train.There are a series of 3 seperate lights and the system is also being checked. I am just updating what I hear, as a local story is often condensed elsewhere.

One passenger in the third car, from my town walked away without a scratch. He was sitting rearward, adding he was fatigued and actually slumped down. He said rear facing passengers were also flung around.

This could have been much worse. Had it occurred earlier, nearby houses would have been impacted ( as it was, nearby residents rushed over with towels, water etc and helped.)A little farther on and it could have been inside the tunnel.

The nearby High School made a excellent command and triage center.I think within minutes we had the first of nearly 500 emergency personel from various departments on scene. So my early efforts were quickly superfluous. It was a CHiP I know told me to clear out, which I of course did.

When the engines hit, both sent towering black plumes of smoke and there was a brief fire. That probably hastened the natural reaction for those who were mobile or even seriously injured to escape the cars. In retrospect, I wonder if the rule ' do no harm' was violated moving some of the injured.

My kit is ( was- this stuff goes fast!) real 'bread and butter' and nothing like some of the kits members have shared. I go with 4x4s and big bandages. Part of this is simple economics, and part having horses. You learn the KISS principle early on and not to have a lot of 'stuff' a DVM or MD has to clean up just to see the injury. My salves are mostly saline solution. I know lots of my bulk kit was quickly tossed to medics. A big battle dressing or unopend 500 pack of 4x4s isn't going to be scrutinised by a EMT like a controlled pharamaceutical.

One thing I've observed with mass disasters is the need to COMMUNICATE. People are crying for help and you need to address multiple needs. I think a simple ' We're here, hold on just a few minutes' Is the best first aid of all. Many passengers 'linked' with civilian helpers who stayed with just one victim, comforted them, called family members and brought them water.

One of the deceased, a 19 y/o girl on her last ride taken for a design class was one of the last accounted for. her poor sister was waiting in Moorpark the last stop and knew something was wrong. She had to stay all night and into the day at the High School waiting for word. That's when community really needs to respond.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/14/08 04:43 PM)