Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I have the Collins Gem edition (water resistant paper and compact format, but a complete edition, I believe).

I actually have both copies -- the smaller Collins Gem versions resides in my BoB.

Although the two books are very similar, the smaller one does not contain everything that the full sized version does. Although I've read the larger version and feel pretty knowledgable, I've obviously never actually had to bug out or face a PAW, so I don't really know what to expect my brain to do if ever found myself in that situation.

Preparedness is all about planning for the most likely contingencies, and I'd hate to think I'd ever be in a situation that required the knowledge of a skill that I previously had, but couldn't think clearly enough to implement it when I really needed it. Knowing that I had the answer at home in a book wouldn't help much, so I carry the smaller one just in case.

From a practical standpoint, sitting around a camp re-reading Lofty's book is a lot more beneficial use of my time than playing solitaire.

Jim