Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#14839 - 04/09/03 11:58 AM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

thanks for the awsume answer !

#14840 - 04/09/03 12:06 PM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Oh yeah and never ever pee against the wind.

Matt

#14841 - 04/09/03 01:05 PM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
Anonymous
Unregistered

I composed another answer, but somehow it got lost without posting, sorry. I see others have covered about everything. A lot depends on the type of terrain, and how long you'll be staying in one place.

Fecal matter must be well covered- that usually means buried- otherwise flies and other insects will visit it before visiting food. Backpackers are usually pretty good about this, but I've seen campers dig latrines and leave fecal matter uncovered in them while preparing food less than 100 feet away. Not good.

Most backpackers carry trowels for the purpose of digging "cat holes", there are very nice folding stainless ones that are too heavy, and light plastic ones that don't dig nearly as well. Really spartan sorts sometimes use a tent stake.

In the deep woods, I personally favor old, mostly buried, mostly decomposed logs, which in untended woods are everywhere. The soft, moist, rotted wood is easier to dig deeper in than soil, it's easier to cover and disguise afterwards, and it just adds to the decomposition process already underway.

I know from long personal experience that if I've switched to freeze-dried food for the trip, I need to be especially sensitive to any, er, impending need for the first few days, as something about the switch to freeze-dried food seem to make it go from barely noticable to EXTREMELY URGENT very quickly, and usually at the worst possible time and place. For those first days, I make sure to have TP and the trowel very handy, and be aware of my surroundings with that in mind.

In the woods, those little "travel" packets of facial tissues work fine, but because of the way they're folded together in the pack (for easy dispensing), on an exposed ridge or knob, a high wind can whip the entire contents out of one amazingly fast, before you can react. May or may not be a factor depending on where you're going.

#14842 - 04/09/03 01:44 PM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
David Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tennessee (middle)
I bought first edition of "How to S... in the Woods" many years ago, mostly because of the title. It's been a while since I read it.

The first chapter or two of stories & such are entertaining. The rest of the book was OK, and contained much the same advice as various Boy Scout handbooks, Fletcher's "Complete Walker", and these posts.

Worth browsing in the bookstore, at least.

David

#14843 - 04/09/03 04:34 PM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
I switched to a shoulder holster years ago and won't go back...

#14844 - 04/10/03 05:47 PM Re: excrement and outdoors ( stupid Q. )
Anonymous
Unregistered

There are no stupid questions, except the un-asked ones! And is this a great forum, or what?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 343 Guests and 98 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by dougwalkabout
03:17 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.