Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147956 - 09/08/08 06:13 PM Alternative news sources under attack?
NIM Offline

Hello everyone,

I (like most of you) check alternative news websites for cutting age and censored news. There are VERY few that I frequent on a regular basis and I've started to notice they are coming under attack. ie. Websites such as www.rense.com (which is even down at the time of this posting).

My questions are: Have you noticed any of your alternative news sites being censored or attacked? What news sites do you really like/frequent?

Personally I never thought that www.rense.com would be attacked as I always thought they towed the line(like pulling the Comet NEAT stories when 'asked' by the government).

The internet still lives! Long live the free internet!

Enjoy,

-NIM

#147960 - 09/08/08 06:35 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: NIM]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I read Rense sometimes too.....Lot's of mumbo jumbo amongst some real good news items.

#147965 - 09/08/08 07:23 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: NIM]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
How do you determine that a web site is being attacked, as opposed to just having technical difficulties?

#147970 - 09/08/08 07:49 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: DesertFox]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: DesertFox
How do you determine that a web site is being attacked, as opposed to just having technical difficulties?

Well, an attack give a site technical difficulties...so it's hard to say from the outside.

From the inside, it's a totally different story. A DDoS attack is pretty amazing, as is a buffer overflow attack and more...you just get saturated with requests and malformed requests and SQL injection tests - tens of thousands of requests at once...it's interesting to see it on a network monitoring screen.

#147980 - 09/08/08 09:40 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Lets face facts here folks. These attacks are made possible because people have simply refused to protect their computers and prevent them from being used as weapons. There are simple and effective firewalls, anti-virus and anti-malware programs available for free but too many people don't use them. If a potential attacker couldn't find unprotected computers to bring under their control and use in these sorts of attacks these sorts of attacks would be nearly impossible to make.

That said.

Rense, long a facile and compliant mouthpiece for the wingnut right and favorite outlet for PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. propaganda, deserves all the trouble that comes at him or his site. He gets very little sympathy from me.

#147981 - 09/08/08 09:46 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Rense, long a facile and compliant mouthpiece for the wingnut right and favorite outlet for PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. propaganda,

Cool, thanks for letting me know. I'll definately start checking it out from now on.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#147992 - 09/08/08 11:20 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: Blast]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but any site that has a banner ad for "psychic powers" right on the front page is a joke.

#147995 - 09/08/08 11:49 PM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
www.rense.com Saved to Favorites!

#148007 - 09/09/08 12:42 AM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Henry_Porter Offline

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I'm sorry, but any site that has a banner ad for "psychic powers" right on the front page is a joke.

I agree, "psychic friends"-style ads are a joke. But I figure we also have to wade through much more deceptive propaganda and well-funded deceptions on many "mainstream news" sources. Whether mainstream or alternative sources, we have to filter out the poison (falsehoods).

What's not a joke are the kind of "psychic powers," for example, that enabled that some members of the GW Bush administration to presciently receive Cipro doses at least one week before "terrorists" mailed anthrax-laden letters in the U.S.

Equipped content? Just because something looks safe, doesn't mean it is. Boil your news first.

#148020 - 09/09/08 01:08 AM Re: Alternative news sources under attack? [Re: NIM]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings to all!!

This is a subject that I do have opinions on. I have read all of the posts that have been written thus far.

Opinion: www.rense.com does have some good, middle of the road articles, BUT, It also has many extreme Left AND extreme Right written articles AND a great number of all of it's articles reflect somebody's idea of PROPAGANDA! I check this site for news AFTER I have checked the others and IF I have time to look at it. Again, this is my opinion.

Opinion: www.standeyo.com has many good news articles and most of the news articles have a middle of the road viewpoint. This website's emphasis is on disaster preparation, climate changes and their affects on the human race. This is a basic Christian website without too much preaching. I try to check this daily!

Opinion: www.stevequayle.com has many good news articles and most of the news articles have a middle of the road viewpoint. This website's emphasis is on economic news as well as some disaster preparation news and information. It is christian based. It provides a link to the Stan Deyo website and a few others. I try to check this website daily!

Opinion: www.urbansurvival.com I go mostly to the "Daily Update" to read George Ure's thoughts and whatever tidbits he is releasing from the Web Bots program runs that Cliff Carnicol ??????? (I don't quite remember the last name). The web bots program has been pushing about a 95% accuracy rate although it is sometimes difficult to make sense of the computor product's wording/structure. I try to check this daily.

Opinion: www.coasttocoastam.com carries 5-6 articles gleaned from the news. Most of this site's articles deal with science AND paranormal. They also publish unique daily photos that their readers send in to them. I try to check this website every couple of days.

Opinion: If you really want to see some weird postings about current events, try www.zetatalk.com this is an extraterrestrial website to educate all of us "hum-ons" and I think the reader who checks it out thoroughly, via the cover page, and then scan through the New zeta talk, will come away with some VERY mixed feelings about a number of things. The host, aka: human, who runs this web site, Nancy Leder, is in the UFO Hall of Shame, but that is also another story all by itself!

This is not by any means all of the places that I try to look at on a daily or weekly basis but none of these will raise a RED FLAG in some Gov't computor system if you go there.

Edited by wildman800 (09/09/08 01:10 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.