The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#147989 - 09/08/08 10:52 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Position of the sun in the sky unless it's near noon or cloudy.

#148005 - 09/09/08 12:39 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: dougwalkabout]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Okay, so you're lost in the bush, you magnetize your needle, it floats happily and aligns itself with authority ... how do you know which is north-ish and which is south-ish?

You look at the stars to see what way is north, I can do to tell a somewhat north direction within 10 to 15 degs.

If it’s during the day watch and use the sun. Put a long stick in the ground so it cast no shadow. Wait 20-min or so and it will have a shadow pointing east.

Or use one of your spare compasses.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#148019 - 09/09/08 01:08 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: BobS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hmm, if I can see the sun and stars, and I'm aware of seasonal variations, then IMO I don't really need an improvised compass for crude navigation, do I?

Not trying to be snarky. I just don't see the utility of it.

#148045 - 09/09/08 04:42 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: dougwalkabout]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Once you know which end is north, you wouldn't need to be able to see the sun/stars.

#148049 - 09/09/08 05:36 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: UTAlumnus]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
!

Edited by Raspy (09/11/08 03:39 AM)

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#148060 - 09/09/08 11:44 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Sock....
First......I have compasses that are EDC. Multiple in fact.....largest one....mil spec/engineer style.
Second....The kit I put it in has no room for anything but this little magnet.....
Third.....The first thought I had (a quick one) was that it could be used for comapss making.
Fourth.....I use it for other things as well......this little magnet is quite strong....unfortunately there is no place to tie into to allow it to do any retrieving......it does hold several sheets of paper on the side of a vehicle quite well, even in a brisk breeze....Not to mention providing entertainment for both of my boys........keeping them busy 'making a compass' (in and of itself) is worth keeping it in the it....
Fifth......this was more of just an example to get people thinking........

BTW to every one else....thanks....I came away with several great ideas......

#148310 - 09/10/08 08:03 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Back in my Scouting days I tried the magnet/needle/compass thingy, never could get it to work. First they said that if you gently place the needle on the surface of the water it will float on its own. I guess I am not all that gentle, 'cuz mine always ended up on the bottom of the container. Then they said to put the needle on a leaf and float that. Didn't work for me, it just floated along, never turning to the north...
Using something to float it with works for me. I just now used 20 strokes of the needle, all with the same end of the magnet and all in the same direction, and a small piece of paper.

An alternative to the bowl of water is to suspend the needle from a thread. If you keep a sewing kit in a survival kit, there's not much reason not to magnetise the needles before you leave home; it doesn't make the needle heavier or anything.

I don't think it's very practical in the field, though, as any wind is liable to disturb the needle.

#148321 - 09/10/08 08:37 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: dougwalkabout]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Okay, so you're lost in the bush, you magnetize your needle, it floats happily and aligns itself with authority ... how do you know which is north-ish and which is south-ish?
Label the magnet before you leave home. If you stroke the needle from eye to point, using the north-seeking end of the magnet, the point will be south-seeking.

I think. I am confident that if you are consistent the results will be too (else multiple strokes would cancel rather than reinforce), and a test in my kitchen gave the above result (and using the opposite end of the magnet reversed it). However, you should test this at home with your own magnet before relying on it in the field. I was using a tiny unlabelled spacer magnet and I might have reversed it by mistake. I think the theory makes sense this way round but I'd probably think the same if it was the other way around too. Stupid parity.

If you can figure out how to suspend or float the CD-player magnet, you don't need the needle.

In the northern hemisphere, the north-seeking end of the needle should dip down slightly. It'd be jolly difficult to detect this in the field, though. You'd probably have to first find the needle's balance point before it's magnetised.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.