The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#148666 - 09/12/08 07:00 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: leemann]
toecutter1978 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
I took that pre test. Lets just say I have some more studing to do. I signed up for the tech test for nest month in Oct. I'm taking it in Austin.

-Clint Smith

#148669 - 09/12/08 07:19 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: toecutter1978]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
I think you'll find that the technician's test isn't really that hard. It's not as if the HAM community is trying to restrict people from getting a license, nor is the FCC.

I didn't actually study for the test at all, I just kept taking practice tests and basically memorised enough of the correct answers so that along with a very basic idea of how electricity and radios work I was able to pass it.

Remember it's a 35 question test and you can miss up to 7 questions and still pass.

Like a lot of stuff you'll learn more once you're licensed and actually using a radio, I know I will anyway.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#148697 - 09/12/08 10:48 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: JohnE]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
That is a very good approach in my view. Some of the stuff makes little sense until you start using it and some of it makes little sense essentially forever, and some of it is good to know from the get go.

Passing and learning is the way to go. If you set up your radio and antenna(s) so that it is impossible to violate the FCC allowed frequencies and power output, listen and learn, you are pretty much set to go for life.

#150035 - 09/24/08 06:15 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: Schwert]
Doug_SE_MI Offline

Loc: Michigan
A prepared ham, using morse code, is able to summon help when he breaks a leg hiking solo in the Cascades.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/09/23/10348/?nc=1

#154771 - 11/10/08 01:04 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: Doug_SE_MI]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
So, I passed the Technician test. Think I only missed one question. Just waiting for the entry to appear at FCC. Well, that and to get some money for a rig of some sort :p
Because of this site I will attempt to learn CW.

Edited by Nishnabotna (11/10/08 01:09 PM)

#154788 - 11/10/08 03:25 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: Nishnabotna]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Learning morse code is advisable. When all you can do is key a transmitter, CW is all you can get out of it. Unless a person can be accurate enough to key teletype characters, and I know of no one who is able to do that, morse code is the only way to send any intelligence just by turning a transmitter on and off (as in keying a microphone, or tapping the PTT wires together).

#154807 - 11/10/08 04:53 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: benjammin]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Congratulations on passing the test, wasn't so hard was it?

Now the fun part, getting a radio.

I started out with a mobile in my car and now have an HT, (handheld). Both of them have 2m and 440/70cm capability, the HT also has 220 capability.

A lot of people get an HT and use it in conjunction with a magnet mount antenna in their car, it's a bit clunky but it will work. If you do get an HT, I'd strongly suggest that you pick up a speaker/microphone for it. Makes using it much easier.

If you are lucky enough to live anywhere near a Ham equipment store, I'd strongly advise you to go there and ask or help. The equipment available is very high tech with lots and lots of options and without help, you're gonna get frustrated. I'd also suggest that if you start on 2m and/or 440, that you pick up a repeater guide that covers your area. Between that, the owners manual, and some help from the guys at the local store, I was able to get on the air without too much trouble.

Good luck.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#154857 - 11/11/08 12:50 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: Nishnabotna]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Good one Nishnabotna. Finding a good radio only takes time and money. There are lots of quality ones out there, take your time and research what you likely need for your area.

I only have a HT. No mobile radio or base station at all. Make sure you get a good antenna not matter what....that is more important than just about anything else.

I have had good luck with Ham Radio Outlet, and Universal Radio as on-line suppliers. I have gone to a HRO store in Portland OR and they were quite helpful. QRZ forums has some decent information on equipment too.

Edited by Schwert (11/11/08 12:52 AM)

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 610 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.