Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: JohnE
$4000.00? for a BOB? Crikey, what are you taking with you?

I don't have that much invested in my BOB, my car kit and my PSK combined. Not even close to that much.

John E

My first aid kit is worth about $1,000. I started with a pre-packaged kit that cost me a few hundred. Then I added more stuff to it. The epipens really ran up the cost fast.

My handgun cost me $600.

My shotgun cost me $400. This, of course, doesn't actually fit inside my BOB. But I keep it next to my BOB and will be taking both out the door. I'll also be taking an air rifle ($200) for shooting squirrels and birds.

The ammunition for these guns cost me about another $300. No crap loads for me. I want to make sure that what I shoot dies.

My knife cost me $100.

My multitool cost me $100.

My water filter cost me $100.

My tent cost me $400.

My clothing cost me about $600.

And I haven't even started listing all the other miscellanious stuff like fishing gear, cookware, fire kit, paracord, snare wire, etc, etc, etc.

I understand the idea of buying the best, but that just isn't an option in my case. I'd love to have the income to purchase that level of gear, but I kinda dig being a pawn broker, and the pay for that ain't much .Heck, my EDC, BOB, weapons and the 4WD truck that totes everything probably doesn't add up to $4,000. But I can probably get from point A to point B, and do any manner of interesting things in between with the makeshift equipment I have, or can improvise from said equipment.

That was kinda the point of the thread, was to see if anyone else here was into "frugal" camping and had some links to decent gear that don't cost a month's worth of groceries to acquire. I've googled up a few, but I was curious if anyone else had some new ones.

I'd love to see some pics of your various gear, though. It gives me reasons to save up the odd bit of cash.

Truckergut