The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147777 - 09/07/08 03:15 PM On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I've been on alert for deployment with my Disaster Medical Assistance Team from Northwest Florida. We are part of the National Disaster Medical System.

I'll try to post updates if I can get permission and internet access. If not, I'll post an after action report. The Feds seem a little over-focused on secrecy and controlling the message and news for my taste lately, but I'll give it my best effort to keep our gang informed.

The only reason I see that would keep me from deploying is if the hurricane strikes my home area. The system recognizes that most team members have essential emergency duties in their civilian jobs in that case, and teams from other areas of the country will come here instead.

Jeff

#147785 - 09/07/08 04:05 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Best of luck to you. My gal pal in Houston is still on alert to go to wherever Ike lands. She was stationed to go if Gustav became a problem, but they never gave her the call. They probably will for Ike.

Thank you. Yep, Ike is beginning to look like another big'un. What organization is your lady friend with?

Jeff

#147790 - 09/07/08 05:00 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: Jeff_M]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Yep, Ike is beginning to look like another big'un. What organization is your lady friend with?

Jeff

This could be a BIG hit on the Gulf Coast.

#147798 - 09/07/08 06:41 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

She's new to it and just recently trained as a SAR and Rescue Diver. I believe it's just a organization of volunteers from the Houston area that offer their services and often get called out for underwater body rescue. From what she's told me the majority of the people on her "Team" are by day (And sometimes night) EMT's and Nurses, so they know when and where things are going down and are able to offer their services to government and city officials.

She's impressed me enough that I will probably take our local community college's EMT classes while attending so that I can volunteer for future problematic situations.

Cool! That's dangerous and sometimes gruesome work. I'm sure people are glad they are willing to volunteer and have her and her team's expertise available when needed. You must be very proud of her. Good luck with the EMT class.

Jeff

#147809 - 09/07/08 08:12 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: ]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
[quote]"Preparedness: Because those zombies aren't going to kill themselves." [/quote

Izzy, I think this is one of the lines of the century for me.

As far as your girl - congrats! It fun having a significant other that is into things that are just plain BAD-A&& - cool girl stuff. My DW is one of those. We have a ball and she is one that I can count on in good times and bad. To quote one of my favorite 80's band songs "hold on loosely - but dont let her go..." Have fun bud cause they tend to be an adventure in and of themselves. wink

#147836 - 09/07/08 10:43 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If I were thinking of cheating on my wife, she sounds like a great prospect!!!

#148738 - 09/13/08 05:56 AM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: Jeff_M]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

We have been ordered to deploy. I report in at 0500 on Saturday. I'll try to post updates.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (09/13/08 06:06 AM)

#148752 - 09/13/08 02:45 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: Jeff_M]
DFW Offline
Journeyman

May God go with you. Thank you for your service.

Stay safe!

#148763 - 09/13/08 05:49 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: Jeff_M]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
We have been ordered to deploy. I report in at 0500 on Saturday. I'll try to post updates.

Jeff

Jeff, please stay safe.

#148779 - 09/13/08 10:07 PM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: Stu]
red Offline

God be with you, keep sharp and stay safe.

#149983 - 09/24/08 12:35 AM Re: On alert for deployment with FL-I DMAT [Re: red]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Thanks for the good wishes.

Not much to report, however. We were sent to Houma, LA, which had extensive flooding that shut down a local hospital. We set up our field hospital in an abandoned Winn Dixie parking lot nearby. We only saw about 200 patients, and only one critical. The hospital was able to re-open their ER after about a week, so we went home. We would have much rather been deployed to Galveston. Basically, it was little more than an extended training exercise, but that's not such a bad thing, since we have some new members.

We did send medical strike teams daily to the local shelters, and they did some useful work there. We did run across one Red Cross volunteer "shelter Nazi" who was being a bit of a pain, but he apparently got a major attitude check overnight and was fine thereafter.

The whole area is about 1/16 inch above sea level, so these people know how to cope with flooding. They really didn't need much outside help.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (09/24/08 01:24 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 408 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.