Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147854 - 09/08/08 12:51 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I just use a simple mini-prybar that my stepdad had, not to mention a lot of trial and error grin. I try to chip away a little of the wood around the head of the nail with the corner of the bar before I pull, but mostly to no avail.

Most of the nails DO come out bent, but I try to get the ones I can somewhat straight again. The ones deemed a "lost cause" (and there are plenty!) go into an empty Pirouline can and then to my buddy who scraps metal when it's full.

These nails are obviously used for the little projects and not for house renovations at all, like the time I needed to put together a small shelf for the basement cheaply and quickly. I haven't done the pallets as much lately (especially with the heat of the summer, making this task an extra pain), but I still strip the office chairs for the parts. They're MUCH easier than the pallets, LOL.

And is everyone wearing their safety glasses/goggles when doing stuff like this? Just a little friendly reminder, you guys...

#147881 - 09/08/08 04:59 AM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: ]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Ive heard of some odd edc items before but a magnet?

As a geologist, I usually have a magnet with me when doing field work. Of course, I also have two compasses and a GPS not to mention another compass in my survival kit, but still...

Even though I carry a magnet, I've never sat down with a needle and magnet to make a compass. This is an obvious gap in my education. For that matter, I also carry a couple of hand lenses and have never tried to start a fire with them. Time to get up to speed.

#147902 - 09/08/08 12:59 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: yelp]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Back in my Scouting days I tried the magnet/needle/compass thingy, never could get it to work. First they said that if you gently place the needle on the surface of the water it will float on its own. I guess I am not all that gentle, 'cuz mine always ended up on the bottom of the container. Then they said to put the needle on a leaf and float that. Didn't work for me, it just floated along, never turning to the north...

#147908 - 09/08/08 01:22 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: yelp]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: yelp
As a geologist, I usually have a magnet with me when doing field work. Of course, I also have two compasses and a GPS not to mention another compass in my survival kit, but still...

Like this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/goatrider/Camping2006#4968861253703565330

#147919 - 09/08/08 02:22 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: GoatRider]
yelp Offline

Originally Posted By: GoatRider
Originally Posted By: yelp

Like this?

http://picasaweb.google.com/goatrider/Camping2006#4968861253703565330

Whoa! Nice, though I wouldn't want to map that outcrop; it's throw the Brunton off. We typically carry a swing magnet, AKA a pencil magnet:

https://minerox.com/index.cfm?fuseaction...FTOKEN=11410494

#147925 - 09/08/08 02:33 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: ]
yelp Offline

Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
This place is called equipped to survive so do yourselve a favor and get the proper tools for the job. Second of all, There is a big difference between edc and field carry. Edc for me is stuff like my multi-tool, keychain with photon light, you know...stuff I carry every day.

Agreed, the proper tools for the job is one of the things that marks a professional. Also saves a heck of a lot of time. EDC depends on your job - I'm in the field six-eight months out of the year (I'm sitting in a fly camp as I type) so I have my field gear with/on me more often than I do my keys or wallet.

When I'm not in the field, my EDC doesn't include a magnet but includes more germane items such as, lessee, maybe a flask.

#147933 - 09/08/08 03:39 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: yelp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yelp, welcome to the fire newguy! You need to warn us gear-freaks before linking us to a new place to spend way too much money! grin Those leather cases on the mining equipment webstore where you got your mag. pencil look way too tempting.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#147934 - 09/08/08 03:43 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: yelp]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I forgot to say Welcome Newguy!!!

#147979 - 09/08/08 09:36 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I tried the magnet/needle/compass thingy, never could get it to work... mine always ended up on the bottom of the container."

You left out one tiny step: Wax the needle. That's what makes it float.

And be sure you only run the magnet in one direction on the needle, not back and forth.

Sue

#147984 - 09/08/08 09:56 PM Re: Scavaging/Recycling [Re: Susan]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Okay, so you're lost in the bush, you magnetize your needle, it floats happily and aligns itself with authority ... how do you know which is north-ish and which is south-ish?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 675 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.