Interesting idea regarding your three-year-old son. I recommend "How to Be Invisible" by J. J. Luna for some ideas (and I'm sure an online search will uncover many other titles and articles on the subject).

There are legal ways to minimize one's "profile," but as you suggest it can be a pretty grueling investment of time, money and opportunity costs as you try to proceed along the spectrum of hidden identity.

Another strategy is "hiding in plain sight," a kind of stegography of life in which open visibility provides (perhaps) some measure of anonymity and/or risk management.

It is pretty much impossible to put the genie back in the bottle once one's identity accumulates the various datapoints of many current societies. Starting over with a new identity is something I can't speak to.

As I understand it, you in the USA don't have 20+ years to wait until your government and corporations are "way over the top" regarding privacy, data collection and data mining, surveillance, secrecy in government and much weakened "rule of law." A cursory reading of Presidential Directives in the last seven years, for example, makes this clear as does the Total Information Awareness project (now called ADVISE).

Hope this doesn't sound like conspiracy theory or off-topic politics. I keep up with US law and society because I consider it one of the last bastions of freedom and have been alarmed by trends and practices there in recent decades.

Part of my preparedness includes, as recommended by others elsewhere on this forum, situational awareness in terms of local, regional, national and international laws and policies especially as they relate to the ability to move during various "emergencies," be they of natural, man-made or unknown origin.

I'd say you're right to consider what kind of society your son is growing up in and what prudent steps you can take now to minimize certain risks to his pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

Edited by Henry_Porter (09/04/08 04:59 PM)
Edit Reason: corrected my misspelling