Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Originally Posted By: CAP613
I stil think building community centers in the city that are setup to withstand the worst case storm would be a better approch in the long term.

I feel that if someone chooses to live in an area that has a high probability of being struck by hurricanes and/or floods, they should be required to build something that will withstand the threat. Otherwise, they should move out of harms way, even if it requires government aid. Insurance companies and taxpayers repeatedly paying to rebuild these areas is foolish and it is an unnecessary burden on all of us.

I agree with that. It seems like Florida will get obliterated every few years, and then people just start rebuilding afterwards.. I understand the community aspect of it, but at some point that land should just be a park.. it's pretty, but it also costs everyone money when they have to send aid, etc., and then they just build back up and wait for it to happen again, and seem surprised when it does.

I do not agree with that. What would be the criteria for determining a probability of flood or hurricane? That could include much of the Gulf Coast from Texas to Florida and Florida north to Virginia. Are you saying all these people should move because of Hurricanes?