Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#146830 - 08/31/08 02:28 PM Man vs Bee
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Once again, Bear Grylls teaches us an important lesson, even if it's not the lesson he intended. ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tmEmUGodw0

#146831 - 08/31/08 02:48 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
For someone who is "supposed" to be"e" a survival expert he actually has someone pull the stinger out (Note: when you pull the stinger out you squeeze more venom into the area)instead of scraping the stinger with a card or in this case he could have used his knife.

Mike

#146833 - 08/31/08 02:57 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
OH MY GOD! I love watching Man vs. Wild! It is like watching Darwinism in action. I cant help but wonder if the producer will actually show the episode when he finally does something so STUPID that he causes his own death. The wife and I actually feel that he is transported to his "survival" destination in a short, yellow bus. Upon arrival, he is reminded not to forget to breath, instructed to take off his "special helmet" "aaannnndddd GO!"

Being in the medical profession for most of my adult life I think to myself "self... with people like this running amuck in the world, you will always have a job..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry... I really have to stop laughing at others misfortunes (someone called it PROFESSIONALISM - whatever). Thank you CityBoyGoneCountry for posting that. I needed a good laugh.

#146835 - 08/31/08 03:04 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: kd7fqd]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Bear Grylls and Tim Taylor (Home Improvement show) are both good examples of what not to do. Tim Taylor shows how to have body parts removed or damaged in a most unpleasant way. Bear does things that would likely kill or seriously harm you if you did not have the support network he has. Just because he is the only person you see on the show doesn’t mean he’s out in the wild alone. Unlike Les Shroud (Les’s show is actually about him being alone and having to cope.) I would imagine there is a lot of Bear’s show that doesn’t get aired because it’s him sitting and recovering or taking a time out (with a cappuccino in his hand and a blanket around him) having his crew wait on him because he did something stupid.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#146837 - 08/31/08 03:26 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Another good example of what not to do was Steve Erwin, he always taunted animals and was trying to be the showman; he would stand a few feet from an alligator or some other dangerous animal and look at the camera and devide his attention between the animal and the camera. He was stupid, even going so far as taking his baby with him (he should have went to court and jail for this.) Well it caught up with him; no one was surprised how it finally came out.

I can see Bear Grylls ending up like Steve Erwin at some point in time. He does so many stupid things that none of us here would be surprised to learn one of them killed him. I hope it doesn’t happen, but you almost expect it.

#146851 - 08/31/08 04:43 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: BobS]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone on the forum know who Charles E. Taylor was?
If you ever find yourself at Bob Hope Airport, AKA Burbank, AKA United Airport drop by nearby Valhalla memorial park.

At the entrance is the Portal of Folded Wings. This beautifull structure is the resting place for many aviation pioneers.

Aron Ralston amputated his own arm after a series of foolish errors in judgement. Timothy Treadwell anthropomorphised bears and got ate.Steve Fossett set a bunch of bragging rights records, largely on superior technology pioneered by the people in this memorial.

And then there is Grylls, who I refuse to honour with that powerfull animal's totem. Society lavishes adulation ( and no small amount of cash ) on idiots. For every Pop Idol in rehab @ 18 years, hundreds of classicaly trained singers and musicians go unheralded.

Grylls is a waste of this website's resources.

Charles E. Taylor was the machinist who sat down with Wilber and Orville to design and build the engine they used.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/31/08 04:45 PM)

#146853 - 08/31/08 05:24 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Grylls is a waste of this website's resources.

I don’t think so, he stands out as a good example of what not to do and how arrogance can kill you. I think all of us have some arrogance in us, but seeing his foolish actions reminds us to keep it in check.

#146859 - 08/31/08 07:02 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: epirider]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: epirider
OH MY GOD! I love watching Man vs. Wild! It is like watching Darwinism in action. I cant help but wonder if the producer will actually show the episode when he finally does something so STUPID that he causes his own death. The wife and I actually feel that he is transported to his "survival" destination in a short, yellow bus. Upon arrival, he is reminded not to forget to breath, instructed to take off his "special helmet" "aaannnndddd GO!"

Being in the medical profession for most of my adult life I think to myself "self... with people like this running amuck in the world, you will always have a job..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry... I really have to stop laughing at others misfortunes (someone called it PROFESSIONALISM - whatever). Thank you CityBoyGoneCountry for posting that. I needed a good laugh.

I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that! That's the best laugh I've had in days.

#146874 - 08/31/08 11:37 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Seemed like a lot of work and risk for a little bitty chunk of honeycomb. And, sick puppy that I am, I was kinda disappointed that he only got stung once. I have been stung more than that while walking down the street minding my own business. That guy is wasting air that normal people need. He did get that fire goin' real fast, I would have liked to see a close up of that. I wonder what kind of lighter he used...

#146879 - 08/31/08 11:55 PM Re: Man vs Bee [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Henry_Porter Offline

I enjoy the show but I don't watch it as a "do this and survive" instructional video (just as I would not have expected a sit-com using a home improvement motif to teach me how to renovate a house).

I take everything on tv, in print and online with a grain of salt because I don't really know how many takes, edits, etc. were used in production. Healthy skepticism, critical thinking and being able to recognize what to take and what to leave can be worthwhile lessons when watching "Man vs. Wild."

Gotta say he kills and eats more things and more strange things than I need to see. The guy seems to know how to climb. I often wonder how they get the camera angles and footage they show.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 705 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Michael2
Today at 04:38 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.