An interesting point made on that survival topics website is the need for fuzzy tender to get a fire going with a firesteel. Which means you either need to carry cotton balls or quiktinders equivalent to the number of fires you want to make (do you carry one hundred pieces of tender?) or rely on finding fuzzy tinder in nature. Consider with shivering, numb hands and fingers the dexterity to make dry fuzzy tender from available sources with out taking your thumb off with your knife.

Lets face it, each fire starting method has its own strengths and its own weaknesses. And honestly when you're cold and wet, relying on starting a fire inherently has problems. One, fire is not the fastest or most efficacious way to warm up someone who is hypothermic. Two, trying to start a fire using any method when cold and shivering can be damned difficult. Three, starting a fire is most difficult when its most needed, when everything is wet. So when I'm out and about in the winter time, I not only carry multiple methods of starting a fire, I carry multiple methods of getting and staying warm.

I carry fire starting materials, matches, lighter and firesteel. And the requisite tinder. All packaged to be waterproof. I also carry a small butane stove. Stoves are easier to light then fires, especially when wet and require no collection of materials. With a stove I can make a hot drink, which warms the body much faster then the radiative heat of a fire. And I can make that hot drink much faster then I could with a fire. Finally at the lowest level, I carry a flameless ration heater and hot beverage bag. Together with water, I can make a hot beverage and put the heater inside my coat to warm me up. Requires almost no dexterity to use and weighs only what the water weighs.

The flameless ration heater and hot beverage bag is one of my favorite tricks since its so light and flat. Of course it helps that I have a steady and limitless supply of MRE's.