Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145063 - 08/21/08 02:30 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: bacpacjac]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I fully agree with your approach Bacpacjac. I approached the subject of keeping it over at her place and even tried it once before. It turned into a travesty. When I was going through my BOB's (wife's and mine) I called to get his and update it with larger clothes and make sure all the food was still edible (no mold, holes in packaging etc.). They were unable to find any of the contents other then the sleeping bag, the pack, and part of a flashlight. When I asked as delicately as I could what happened to all the equipment, her responce was "OOOhhh, I don't know, its around here somewhere..." Hence, the new BOB is kept at my place as having equipment scattered in places unknown is as good as not having it at all.

My son understands the purpose of it and I also encourage him "messing with the stuff" to become familiar with all of it. Afterward he is very peticular on packing it the way it was and putting it away. His mother on the other hand, thinks it is a silly waste of money and *not quoting here* GOD and the government will take care of us should we have a disaster... OMG! Well at least you all know one of the reasons why we split ways. mad

Back to the discussion at hand, I agree with your phylosophy when it comes to kids and preparedness and not talking disasters, but prepared to stay safe and well.

#145084 - 08/21/08 04:40 AM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: clarktx]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
In fairness to the Globe & Mail: I think they found an "expert" with a contrary point of view just to provide some obligatory balance. Overall, the article was entirely fair and reasonable in terms of people making preparations.

I also think kids gain confidence from preparations, especially if they are included in some way. You can't really isolate children from reality; they figure it out. But you can help them deal with it. Think of the original Grimm's fairy tales (no Disney there).

#145371 - 08/22/08 05:44 PM Re: More media discussions about preparedness [Re: dougwalkabout]
harstad Offline
Journeyman

A lot of the comments seem to be people wondering why they would need to prepare for such things.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by chaosmagnet
Yesterday at 11:34 AM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.