Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#144593 - 08/18/08 02:26 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Looks pretty interesting and might work well. The only thing I would do is add some kind of harness. Pulling a full cart by handles like that can wrench a shoulder. For yard work where you don't have to go too far the handle is fine, but when the miles stack up it'll be a problem.

Check the size as well. 40" x 36" x 24" may be good enough. The only reason I point it out is that one of the comments mentions that the cart was smaller than expected.

#144629 - 08/18/08 07:27 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: Nicodemus]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Thanks for the responses. A lot of good opinions.

At this time, I own no wagon of any sort. I do have two wheelbarrows but I'd hate to use them in a bug out mode. For $70, I don't expect much.

I agree that pulling a wagon for any length of time would suck, particularly if you had to lift and pull as opposed to just pulling. The harness idea is kinda cool. This unit is supposed to be pretty good for towing, and configured to release the handle easily. So pulling it behind something is plausible. And I've read that bikes are the most efficient non-motorized transportation ever invented.

I've read on other threads about rickshaws, and I think they would be the best (+1 to KenK, yours is a rickshaw to me). But I have less use for a rickshaw in daily life than I do for a wagon.

Thanks again for the opinions, it helps. I know that if you discuss a situation which I would survive, and need to leave, but not use a car... that there is a fair chance I couldn't use a wagon either. And thats why the daily life angle is important too.

Edited by clarktx (08/18/08 07:28 PM)
Edit Reason: perfectionist

#144639 - 08/18/08 08:13 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
The wagon is a pretty good idea for bugging out with the family and the price is definitely right. If if was in a similar position (which I am not) I would look into this BOB yak w/ setup options
Personally I will start with my jeep, then progress to my bicycles, then to my Bug out bag then to digging in and fortifying. In your case as in my case, forward momentum is the key to getting out of a situation. As long as you are able to make progress as fast or faster then the rest of the masses, you will likely be in better shape. You and your family plan are on the right track. Just remember that as you and your family evolve, so must your plan and equipment. Good luck on you venture.

#144659 - 08/18/08 10:15 PM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: clarktx]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My big thought- it can hold 600 pounds. Can you haul 600 pounds?

We've had game carts here before. Maybe one of those can be made kid friendly with some zip ties, duct tape and hose clamps.

For holding the child seats!

I know what you people we're thinking. Jeez. *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144671 - 08/19/08 12:26 AM Re: opinion on wagon please [Re: ironraven]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I KNOW I've hauled far more manure in our barn cart than I could ever carry. Still, odds are that it was more like 200-300 lbs. The trick is to load heavy in front (opposite the handle) so that the load is balanced over the axle.

Here's another cool wagon that I've had my eyes on for a few years.

http://www.ursawagon.com/index.htm

Has some better trailering options, though it might be more than a bicycle could handle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 745 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by Jeanette_Isabelle
54 minutes 49 seconds ago
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.