Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#144228 - 08/15/08 03:59 AM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: MDinana]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Sorry about your family's loss.

A word to others out there: if you decide to start making a living will, make sure you understand the legalities in your area about when it does and doesn't apply.

For example, here in Orange County, CA, there's a prehospital EMS DNR form. If you don't have that, you're out of luck. Hospital DNR's don't count, and living wills don't either.

Also, many hospitals won't honor forms from different facilities.

An advance medical directive is something entirely different than a physician's "Do not attempt resuscitation" order entered into your medical record once you are in the hospital. They have very different rules. MDinana is entirely correct that a physician's DNAR may not be honored elsewhere, and it will likely to cease having any effect once you are discharged.

But, an advance medical directive, properly prepared and legally sufficient, is a binding legal document. It must be honored at ANY hospital. If some hospital refuses to honor one of my client's directives simply because it's not on their own form, I'll have their posterior in front of a judge so fast their heads will spin, and that's one advantage of having a lawyer prepare the document with you. Mine have my after hours cell phone printed on it for just such emergencies, along with many other provisions covering all sorts of circumstances that I've not seen anyone else include.

Also, because they have neither the time nor the ability to review the legal sufficiency of your advance medical directive in an out of hospital emergency, paramedics in most jurisdictions are trained to simply ignore it, and let the hospital folks sort it out. However, as MDinana correctly points out, some jurisdictions have special out of hospital forms aimed at paramedics. Florida does. Check for this in your jurisdiction.

MDinana gives wise advice to "make sure you understand the legalities in your area about when it does and doesn't apply." The rules can vary in different jurisdictions. I'm not offering legal advice here, just information for you to discuss with your own attorney familiar with your jurisdiction.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (08/15/08 04:19 AM)

#144231 - 08/15/08 04:29 AM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Jeff_M]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Doug,
First, my condolences

RE Living wills, DNRs, healthcare proxies etc

They are state specific, and talk with a lawyer. I've gon through this twice in the last 13 months (Mom then Dad). Got to talk to the Hospic folks (GREAT folks- at least around here)

If you have ANY, and I mean ANY health issues - do yourself a favor. Write down your medical history, plus what drugs and dosages you take, plus any medical care instructions (DNRs, proxies, etc) put them in an envelope, with a BIG label "Name's Healthcare info", put in a ziplock bag, and stick it to the front/side of your REFRIGERATOR where it can be seen

The FDNY/EMS crews say "we find you on the floor, unresponsive, the first place we're going to go is to your refrigerator to look for drugs - insulin etc. We'll see that envelope, and be REALLY happy to have it"

I carried a copy of Dad's medical history, his prescription list, all his MD and insurance info and the like on a small slip of paper in my wallet (in like 3-4 point type), plus a copy on my thumb drive. Over the last 6-8 months of his life, as he shuffled in and out of hospitals, nursing homes, rehab centers, etc, the doctors were all so happy that I could hand them that piece of paper. It took care of the immediate needs, and gave them people/places to contact for the more advanced info (like complete records). I can remember walking into the hospital the first time in the whole chain, and the admitting nurse being so happy to get that paper when she started asking medical history questions

I carry a similar slip for ME, easy to find in my wallet, and one for my wife, and the kids that are burried to they are not confused with mine
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#144249 - 08/15/08 12:56 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Doug_Ritter]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am sorry for your loss. But you/he did the right thing. Quality of life, in my opinion, is everything. He had obviously come to the same decision.

Re living trusts, they are indeed great. They do not solve all problems, but they sure do smooth out the road. My parents had one, which really simplified things for me once they were gone. We have one too, but since we just changed state residences, we have to have another drawn up. Thanks for the AARP hint, I did not know that.

Re DNR's, in my experience, there are hospitals, probably all of them, that will only accept a DNR that is on THEIR form. They will ignore anything written by your attorney, or anyone else...

#144260 - 08/15/08 01:54 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
First of all, my condolences to Doug and his family.

I would urge everyone, this being a forum about Survival, to be very very careful how you use terms like "Quality of Life" Honestly, the last thing I'm worried about is being given life prolonging treatment that I don't want. I'm much more concerned about being denied even the most basic care that I do want. They don't call it the "culture of death" for nothing.

From http://www.nrlc.org/euthanasia/AdvancedDirectives/ReportRevised2007.pdf
Quote:
However, the laws of all but eleven states may allow doctors and hospitals to disregard advance directives when they call for treatment, food, or fluids. Increasingly, health care providers who consider a patient’s “quality of life” too low are denying lifepreserving measures against the will of patients and families – and the laws of most states provide no effective protection against this involuntary denial

From a survival perspective, think about how many people in survival situations had an absolute zero quality of life and a zero hope for rescue. Yet they kept on going. How many of us would have judged their lives unworthy of living at the time?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#144316 - 08/15/08 10:57 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: thseng]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
When my Mom had to go into the hospital in the last few years of her life, almost the first words out of the mouths of the people in the hospital were "Do you have a Living Will?"

Maybe I am being cynical beyond all redemption (really?), but I kind of got the impression that they would be perfectly happy not to attempt to resusitate if no one was going to pay for it.

Unfortunately, a few other people going to this hospital chain have gotten the same impression.

I was also told by an attorney in Las Vegas that without a medical power of attorney, NO ONE except a current spouse can make medical decisions. It doesn't matter if you are blood child, sister or father. If you don't have the paperwork, you can't make the decisions that you know the person wanted; the hospital will make them, right or wrong.

Sue

#144353 - 08/16/08 03:43 AM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When my mom was dieing in the hospital, even tho we had a living trust, durable power of attorney for health care, DNR, etc etc etc, her dr made me hand write a document, at oh dark thirty, telling him to unplug her. I did it, he did it, next morning he plugged her back in, pretty much all by himself. More money for those twice a day five minute visits to her room for him...

#144420 - 08/16/08 11:01 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
When my mom was dieing in the hospital, even tho we had a living trust, durable power of attorney for health care, DNR, etc etc etc, her dr made me hand write a document, at oh dark thirty, telling him to unplug her. I did it, he did it, next morning he plugged her back in, pretty much all by himself. More money for those twice a day five minute visits to her room for him...

It appears your mother's physician committed criminal battery under state law, a violation of federal law, as well as a huge ethical breach and probably a violation of your state's medical practice act, not to mention possible insurance and/or medicare fraud. Having you write out your instructions was merely prudent, however. That's what I'd advise any of my doctors to do, in any such case.

These posts make it sound that doctors nation-wide are out of control. It worries me.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (08/16/08 11:41 PM)

#144424 - 08/16/08 11:33 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: Jeff_M]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Doug; our condolences to you and your family.

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
as MDinana correctly points out, some jurisdictions have special out of hospital forms aimed at paramedics. Florida does. Check for this in your jurisdiction.

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
The FDNY/EMS crews say "we find you on the floor, unresponsive, the first place we're going to go is to your refrigerator to look for drugs - insulin etc. We'll see that envelope, and be REALLY happy to have it"

I used a similar approach in Virginia with my Dad and his DNR order. He was at home, in home hospice, and we posted it on the refrigerator door. It was an ugly orange color so no one would overlook it. We also stopped by and talked to the guys in the local EMS squad, and briefed them. They made a note of it in their log book/notes, so even the off-duty guys would know to look for the order in case they responded.

The help of locally knowledgeable folks is invaluable in being sure the documents are accepted and implemented. One resource is your local hospital's medical social worker (may have different title) who probably knows all of the ins and outs and can get you started in the right direction.

Edited by bws48 (08/16/08 11:36 PM)

#144425 - 08/16/08 11:39 PM Re: A Different Kind of Survival Strategy - Lesson Lea [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Re DNR's, in my experience, there are hospitals, probably all of them, that will only accept a DNR that is on THEIR form. They will ignore anything written by your attorney, or anyone else...

For once, maybe Florida is a leader instead of behind the times. Actually, Florida does have some pretty darn good laws in the area of elder rights and protections.

Now, I need to make a clarification. There is a huge difference between refusing to honor the decision of a patient or surrogate just because their instructions are written on the wrong "form" one the one hand, and merely requesting that patients or their surrogates reduce their instructions to writing on a specific form that is familiar to them and therefore easier for them to follow, while fully intending to honor and comply with all of the instructions and decisions of the patient or surrogate, whatever they may be, on the other hand.

As long as they are doing what the patient or surrogate directs, there's no problem with them saying "Okay, we'll do as you say, but please just put it in writing on the form our folks are used to, so there are no mistakes about you want us to do."

We are discussing something very fundamental here, and that is the right to self-determination and to control one's own body and destiny, either for ourself or through another trusted person we've selected to speak for us when we longer can. This is perhaps the most basic right and freedom of all. If that right is not being respected by the medical community, or by your or your loved one's physician, then something, somewhere, has gone seriously wrong. You don't have to take it, and decisive and immediate corrective and enforcement action is called for.

Jeff

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 434 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
How 5 Fishermen Survived...Carried a PLB!
by roberttheiii
Yesterday at 02:51 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:45 AM
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
06/25/24 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
06/25/24 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.