Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Originally Posted By: pforeman
I've always tucked in a roll of quarters. It's ten bucks, can be used in vending machines

Paul wink

I am still a little uncertain to what some of you call a survival kit. I have never been in any life or death situation where my health or safety would have depended on a roll of quarters. These are just everyday items that make life a little easier. It's a little odd to think of them as a survival item.

For odds and ends in an actual survival kit(the kind you carry in a pocket or backpack) I always have a couple of nails on hand. You can use nails for a lot of useful stuff in the bush.

Some people's kit has a more urban orientation, and there's often a lot of cross-over between urban and wilderness survival kits, every day carry items, and work tools. In any case, there are no precise definitions or boundaries.

Coins operate vending machines, mini-mart tire inflators and the increasingly rare payphone. But, when held in the fist, they dramatically improve the effectiveness of a punch, and can be placed in a sock or other sack to make a pretty good defensive weapon or tool to, for example, bust out a laminated window. Oh yeah, it'll also pay for lunch.

Jeff