The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143406 - 08/09/08 01:05 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This is gonna sound silly to anyone who doesn't have some high dollar dental work in their mouths, but I have a little curved metal toothpick thingy on my keyring. Getting something stuck under a bridge, or elsewhere, can go from irritating to downright painful if not removed, and floss won't get under a bridge. Can't find a pic to show, but you can usually find them on the dental wall of a drugstore/WallyWorld type store...

#143453 - 08/10/08 01:21 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Pansy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

one quarter stick of fast setting epoxy putty..

#143454 - 08/10/08 01:32 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I've always tucked in a roll of quarters. It's ten bucks, can be used in vending machines (some out there don't need electric but still want a quarter) and lots of other ways. In a pinch, it's also a good weight for lots of things and 'legal' until you stuff it into a sock for an improvised impact self-defense tool... I hang out with the 'wrong' crowd sometimes.

Paul wink

#143455 - 08/10/08 01:37 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: pforeman]
JohnnyRocket Offline
Stranger

Wood screws and some penny nails. I stuck maybe 6-8 of each in the bottom of my gear can. I haven't figured out how I will use them yet, but when I do, I will have them. Mechancial fasteners can't be a bad thing to have - right? Worst case scenario, they justify the weight of the phillips bit on my multi tool!

JR

#143457 - 08/10/08 02:03 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: JohnnyRocket]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not sure what you mean by "penny" nails? 16 pennies, or something smaller/larger???

#143466 - 08/10/08 07:45 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I just added a thick plastic piece of straw to the possible mix in my EDC. At the movie theater I volunteer at, a local ministry sponsored our showing of "Chariots of Fire", and they handed out a bunch of promotional materials, hundreds of crazy straws included. I took one home and broke off a good length about a foot and a half long, much more than what I need.

Thanks for sharing your ideas/odds and ends, guys!

#143469 - 08/10/08 11:00 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
Oooh! grinRubber bands - I've got a whole bunch in my desk drawer but I totally forgot those! Will band up my cordage here in a little bit. Thanks! Hope we can keep this topic going for more ideas...

Rubber bands are good but they seldom last long. Even in near ideal storage conditions they can dry out and get brittle or turn into mush that smears and ends up everywhere.

A good alternative to the standard rubber bands is to drop into the hair-care section of the big box or drugstore and get 'scrunchies', hair and/or head bands. These are wound with thread that helps protect the rubber compound and the higher end versions are made of synthetic rubbers compounds that resist UV, oil and general wear for a very long time.

I have some in one of my kits that are over ten years old that are still strong and pliable. These are a bit over two inches in diameter and cost about $3 for a dozen in basic black.

The headbands are thicker and much larger. The ones I have used were about quarter inch thick and eight inches in diameter. Cost about $2 each.

While your nearby get yourself a shorty makeup brush, intended for blush, to use as a lens brush for glasses, binoculars and camera. These are great for getting sand and abrasive dust off those delicate lenses. Sand and grit are a problem when in the field in Florida.

The one I got is about 4" OA and weighs just a few grams. Cost a bit more than a buck. A real deal compared to the purpose built 'lens brush' which is about 6" long, weighs twice as much and costs $10.

Even in a small space constrained kit it can pay to include a tube of lip balm. Very few things are as annoying as chapped and cracked lips. Get the stuff with a sunscreen in it and you can at least protect your nose and lips. Big relief.

The wax and petrolatum base is a decent lubricant (trick is to warm the mechanism so it melts in), protects steel from rust, bits can be sliced off to get a fire going, roll up a bit of pocket lint and make a wick for a short-term candle/lamp, and it can be rubbed into the dried out cuticles to prevent annoying and painful bleeding hangnails.

Lots of utility in a compact package.

#143473 - 08/10/08 11:33 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Ear plugs. If trapped in a confined space (elevator, rubble) and using a loud whistle to attract attention, I'd want hearing protection.

Nurit

#143475 - 08/10/08 12:50 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
My "Murphy Pouch":
in a 5x6" zipper pouch that lives in my fatboy and gets transfered to my pack when hiking.

Zip ties (large and small)
Rubber bands
Krazy glue
Sewing kit
Eye glass repair kit
paper clips
length of florist wire
twist ties
matches in match case
"gorilla" duct tape wrapped around match case
small length of paracord
small length of bright yellow mason's line
aluminum foil
small collapsible scissors
safety pins
small pocket knife
extra lighter

"Hypochondriac Pouch"
2.5 x 4.5" zipper pouch that lives in my front left pants pocket (when I hike I put it in a breast milk baggie to keep it dry):

2 doses of each in a old Aleve tube
* Excedrin
* Benadryl
* Immodium
* Dramamine (only one dose)
* Alev
* Sudafed
* Pepcid

Chapstick
Dental Floss
Safety Pins
Fingernail Clippers
Micropur tabs (2)
Metal Toothpick
Ponytail Holders (I have a daughter and wife).
Listerine pocket pals

Edited by samhain (08/10/08 01:11 PM)
Edit Reason: oops, my stomach just reminded me about the pepcid

#143476 - 08/10/08 12:54 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: BobS]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: BobS
Put the rubber bands in a mini zip lock bag. They dry out quick and become brittle and break. I use a lot of them in my work and find a few weeks sitting in my van exposed to the heat in it (a carpet machine and the suns heat) they are worthless.

I like using the little "crack baggies" that one can get from Hobby Lobby (sold to be used to put jewelery in but they look like crack baggies to me ;))

I put all my small stuff in those.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 337 Guests and 82 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.