Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143140 - 08/07/08 06:00 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Rodion]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Rodion
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
No, I don't think that it's just "name." I try a lot of brands but keep coming back to the Leathermans. I use them hard, and expect results. The Victorinox line are pretty decent, as a second choice, but never seem to "fit the bill" as well.

Could you elaborate on that? I've never heard this particular claim before.

Do you mean you miss the one-handed opening blades and/or other unique features offered by Leatherman tools?

Speaking as some one who own's both a TTi and a Swisstool:
The TTi is a better everyday choice provided you need one handed access and the ability to clip it into a pocket. Build quality is upper end reasonable.

If you want a tool that will last forever, is extremely corrosion resistant and you can live without one handed access to blades etc then the Swisstool is the way to go. If there is one reservation I have about the Swisstool it is the way tool are locked. It does not "feel" as solid as the TTi. Which is ironic because in terms of build quality the Swisstool is far superior to the TTi.

#143142 - 08/07/08 10:23 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The one handed access was a big deal for me. I really hate things on my belt, so it was "a leatherman type tool, or a knife", with the knife being the default, and the most important function on the multi-tool

I did NOT get to buy a Ti - the 154CM blade wasn't enough incentive to upgrade from my existing leathermen (yes I had plenty) but I did use a friends Ti for a week.

When the TTi came out, I decided "what the heck, I'll give another one a try" That and the fact that I was threated with arrest for carrying a Leek ("That's a switchblade" - yeah I know that it isn't, the courts know it isn't, but it's not fun having to prove it in a court of law), so I was looking for "yet another knife"

The TTi was the first multitool that was "good enough" to displace my folder to a backpack. The file on mine stinks - it was miscut, and they have offered to replace it, but I've seen ones that are cut RIGHT, and they still are not very good

If and when I get a surface grinder (on my wish list), I may take a gobert flat file and grind it down in thickness, and shape it to replace the existing file. I did ask Leatherman about "do a super tool with a real file, a real blade, say D2, etc etc" and their comment was that there would NOT be enough of a market, that the lack of rust resistance would be a deal breaker
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143227 - 08/08/08 04:33 AM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: KG2V]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
but it does not keep that "razor edge" that the leek does. For instance, when I open the mail, I find the edge grabs all the time.

Addendum:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that paper and cardboard will blunt just about anything. Its actually as abrasive as a very fine sandpaper.

You can actually strop a knife on cardboard as you would a leather belt. It's also an effective way of getting gunk off the blade.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (08/08/08 04:34 AM)
Edit Reason: punctuation

#143243 - 08/08/08 01:07 PM Re: Charge TTi - very long term review [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
but it does not keep that "razor edge" that the leek does. For instance, when I open the mail, I find the edge grabs all the time.

Addendum:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that paper and cardboard will blunt just about anything. Its actually as abrasive as a very fine sandpaper.

You can actually strop a knife on cardboard as you would a leather belt. It's also an effective way of getting gunk off the blade.

Yes, but what I was trying to say was the leek held a razor "slice open the envelope" edge about 2-3 times longer than the blade on the leatherman. I know how abrasive paper/cardboard is - I probably own 30-40 knives, a few cheap ones, a few real high end "true" customs (made to order to my design) and everything in between.
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.