Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
This compass would probably OK just for map use, but if you're really interested in cross country (off trail) navigation, orienteering, or anything that requires precise readings, this compass isn't going to get you there. With this compass, there is nothing to sight with. You have to look up at the sighting object, look down to the compass, back up to the object, and then back at the compass. No offense intended, but those 1/2 degree markings are a bit of a joke on a compass of this design.

http://www.thecompassstore.com/54lu.html...

Not really. The 54LU allows you to see the target, compass and azimuth all at once.

It is a favorite of the guy who runs MapTools. However, it does not have a declination adjustment. Since it uses a card and not a needle it would be more affected by a bubble.

I don't own one, I just remember him talking about it.

I understand the idea of being able to read the bearing via the optically enhanced rim of the compass. But that's not the issue. You have no precise aiming point on the compass. How do you aim it? You basically eyeball the arrow on the baseplate, looking back and forth between the baseplate arrow and the sighting object. Yes, you can read the bearing through the rim, but it's not a very precise bearing.

With a compass that has a sighting device (sighting wire, sighting aperture, sighting "V," etc.), you get a more precise aiming device and therefore a more precise bearing. Hence this general class of compasses are referred to as sighting compasses.

I'm not saying the 54LU is a bad compass, but if I need to take bearings, it wouldn't be my first choice. Add in the fact that there is no declination adjustment and the 54LU is a "no go."