Quote:
Itīs the only way to be sure that you have it after you leave the plane.
Absolutely! I always carry-on enough stuff to live without my checked baggage for a while, just in case. I take an extra shirt, socks & underwear, toiletries, EDC gear (minus blades), etc. I carry clothes for unexpected weather in locations other than just my destination - hot or cold - because a plane can be diverted or a layover can be extended for any number of reasons. I also carry gear I may need for an emergency on the plane, like a smoke hood, food & water, first aid kit, etc. Also, I carry anything I don't want to have to replace or might have trouble replacing upon reaching my destination. This last includes valuables and takes-time-to-gather items like all the neat stuff I keep in my PSK. I have only lost my baggage once, but that's beside the point. The point is that anyone can lose their baggage. That's enough reason to keep cetain items in your possession.

Lastly, having certain items on the ground at the destination is enough reason to take a checked bag even if it's a short enough trip that you don't really need the extra volume. This would include knives & multi-tools, other sharps if you're planning on being out where you might want them (like camp saws & axes) and self-defense devices like guns, pepper sprays, etc.

Stay safe,
J.T.