The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#142425 - 08/01/08 01:29 AM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: Blast]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
My Dad's official USN pea coat is still at my Mom's house somewhere.

It was issued to him in 1944 just before he shipped out for the south Pacific during WWII!

Evidently those islands in the Pacific get really cold at night or some other time of the year. crazy

Unfortunately, he was a 42 back then and I have pretty much always been at least a 52 long. It's a good thing the KaBar he gave me wasn't issued in different sizes.

#142437 - 08/01/08 03:24 AM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: porkchop]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

US issue peacoats are available on EBAY. There is a dealer in Norfolk who is quiete good at recommending the best fit. If you are patient and lucky, look for older ones. They are in a 'kersey blue' vs today's black. This is a very deep navy almost black colour. There are also a few styling details in the collar that are superior.You may want to look for a canadian issue coat up there, given the sometimes bizaar shipping problems and duties from the US to Canada. Once you get it, have it dry cleaned regardless of appearance. Modern cleaning will disinfect against wool moths. After that simple hygiene will dissuade the critters. They are superb coats when layered and vent very well. I came home with 3, one a rare USCG CPO's with gold buttons and upgraded pocket corderoy liners. They must be good- all were borrowed and never returned.

#142460 - 08/01/08 10:24 AM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Thanks Chris. Useful information as usual. BTW I found a post from a certain Kav at the askandyaboutclothes forum. Is it you by any chance?

If you would be so kind as to post the URL of the ebay dealer I would appreciate. Also, how old should the Kersey blue be? From the Vietnam era or older? When did they stop producing the superior ones?

I'll try to find Canadian issue peacoats here.

Thanks
Frankie

#142481 - 08/01/08 01:44 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: Frankie]
chuuucky Offline
Stranger

Loc: southern CA
I use a so-called Bridge Coat purchased a few years ago from one of the military/government contractors available on the web. The really nice thing about the Bridge Coat is that it is a Pea Coat, only it is longer, about knee length. Sorry I cannot recall which contractor though, of course, a swift web search for "Bridge Coat" should reveal all. Good Luck!

#142485 - 08/01/08 02:44 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: chuuucky]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
IIRC, from my days when I had uniforms, a Bridge Coat is something for one of the more formal uniforms. It went along with "Service Dress Blues," which is the uniform with the white shirt, tie and jacket (like one for a suit). Pea coats went with the uniform like the one on top: http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/Chapter3/Enlisted/em_13_Wk_WinterBlue.htm

#142495 - 08/01/08 04:06 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: Dan_McI]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
"Sleeves are to reach about three-quarters of distance from the wrist to the knuckles when arms hang naturally at the sides." I guess I will have to choose the long version. It's not so obvious to order online.

Thanks for the link.

Frankie

#142497 - 08/01/08 04:20 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
As an Army guy, I wouldn't be caught dead in a pea coat, opting for the OD green field jacket or some shiny nylon reversible thing with pen slots on the upper sleeve and lots of "I've-been-here" patches.

But..the pea coat is a versatile, durable, trend defying jacket.

IMHO I would go with a genuine Navy pea coat and not a designer one. No biased but think the original would again bust trends and seem more vintage and inexpensive an option.

#142500 - 08/01/08 04:42 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: chuuucky]
chuuucky Offline
Stranger

Loc: southern CA
I should have added to my previous post about the Bridge Coat: when I received it I changed mine for my intended purpose for street wear by removing the epaulets and brass buttons put there originally for officer use, obviously. I also replaced the largish-sized brass buttons with the classic "anchor" black (plastic) buttons for my use; a much more comfortable look for me.

#142516 - 08/01/08 05:34 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: Frankie]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
What I owned (and have since given to my daughter) is the USCG dress version of a peacoat. It is very warm in winter but it is NOT a PEACOAT by any means.

#142544 - 08/01/08 09:12 PM Re: Do you own a Pea coat [Re: wildman800]
corpsman Offline
Journeyman

If it's a straight pea coat the above are good ideas. If it's just a tough, classic wool coat you want, here is what I have used for the last 5 years: http://www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?...rentPage=family

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 399 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.