I hate to keep upping a thread like this, but I went camping this weekend and I'm thoroughly pleased with the way my Fenix L2D CE performed in many roles.

One thing that made me feel good about the purchase is that I continually checked the setting to see what mode it was in. The low setting was so bright* that I often checked the bezel because I couldn't believe it was on low and that I could expect more than 80 hours** of useful light at that brightness. I could easily walk around in the dark with the light on low and be confident in doing so.

The high setting on the Fenix L2D CE is incredible, but it's hard to appreciate how bright just by looking at the wattage. We compared the Fenix (3W on high) to a MiniMag LED 3 Watt and the difference is unbelievable. The Flashlight Reviews site says the Fenix L2D CE (3W) on high is brighter than Surefire L2 (5W) on high. Though in all fairness I must admit that the Maglite costs $25.00 less than the $50.00 Fenix.

I must also admit that these numbers, used as as ratings to compare one light to another, confuse me and make my head spin; Watts, Lumens, Lux...

The "Strobe" mode, though I don't know what it's actually for, incapacitated one of the other campers for a few seconds, and made him feel sick to his stomach for a few moments after that. Simply put, I shouldn't have done it, and I didn't expect the results.

* 9 lumens according to the Fenix Store

** 80+ hours with Energizer E2 Lithium Batteries according to Flashlight Reviews. 59+ hours with the extra Kirkland Brand AAs I purchased from Costco. I also use Sanyo eneloop NiMH, but they are 2000mAh as opposed to 2650mAh NiMH rechargeables so I don't have runtime information on those.

Yes, after complaining about the expense of CR123s I purchased a bunch of Energizer e2 Litiums because I liked the look of the runtime graphs. grin

I'm not affiliated with Fenix in any way, just happy with my purchase.

Edited by Nicodemus (07/28/08 10:51 PM)