The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#141515 - 07/26/08 02:54 PM Folding Knife Lock Types
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I just ordered a few new knives and was comparing the different types of locking mechanisms on folders.

Most of the locking knives I have owned are of the Lock Back variety (e.g. Buck 110), but I have a few Liner Locks also (e.g. Leatherman TTi). I also own many pocket knives with no locks at all (e.g. most SAKs).

I have read about other locking styles (Axis, Frame, Button, Compression, Opinel) but just do not know the strenghts and weaknesses of them.

I know this forum has members who are knowledgeable on knife types and proabaly own many of these styles.

Can we discuss what folding knife lock type is the best?

Thanks,

Mike

#141518 - 07/26/08 03:09 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: SwampDonkey]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I haven't had a chance to use some of the new lock types -- I'd be interested in users' experiences too.

Generally, though, I don't trust locks. Yes, they're useful, and worth having, but I think of them more as a safety latch.

To my mind, a locking folder is like a firearm with a round in the chamber. Don't ever pretend it's not loaded.

The classic Buck-type lock is handy and reasonably effective. It's weaknesses seem to be pocket crud and twisting. Liner locks seem less vulnerable to fouling in my experience.

I still think the strongest lock I've used was a Cold Steel Twistmaster. It used the Opinel-style lock with a solid Zytel handle. I did a lot of batoning on this folder and it was as close to a fixed blade as I've ever seen. Not very handy for quick cuts though -- two hands to open and lock.

Edited by dougwalkabout (07/26/08 03:11 PM)

#141534 - 07/26/08 05:29 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: dougwalkabout]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don't care how a knife locks as long as it does lock and I don't cut my fingers off.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141547 - 07/26/08 09:15 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think the quality of the locking mechanism is more important. a good lockback is pretty dependable...so is a good liner lock. I've seen both fail on cheaper knives.

#141644 - 07/27/08 01:06 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: ]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
I agree with Hacksaw that it seems to be more about quality than a particular style. The most important thing that matters to me is that it not fail and cut my fingers.

Having said that, from an ergonomic perspective, I'm pretty fond of the axis locks on my Benchmade folders.

#141651 - 07/27/08 01:38 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: BlueSky]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I don't like liner locks at all. Best I can say about them is you can close them with only one hand. I particularly dislike the them on my EDC Leatherman Charge, where the straight and serrated blades have completely different lock tolerances.

Websites like bladeforums.com have zillions of threads on this topic. Certainly would be a good reference and source of reviews for individual knives.

#141663 - 07/27/08 02:33 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I think the quality of the locking mechanism is more important. a good lockback is pretty dependable...so is a good liner lock. I've seen both fail on cheaper knives.

I agree, buy my statement assumes a person buys a good knife in the first place as I’m sure most of us do. I don’t shop for knifes at Big Lots or Harbor Tools.

I have no question about the ability of a Buck, Gerber or similar quality or better knifes ability to stay locked.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#141703 - 07/27/08 07:52 PM Re: Folding Knife Lock Types [Re: BobS]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: BobS

I have no question about the ability of a Buck, Gerber or similar quality or better knifes ability to stay locked.

I do. I like the Gerber Freeman fixed blade I have quite a bit. I decided to get the Freeman folder on a whim because I saw the price had dropped to close to $30. It is a liner lock. I don't mind liner locks but the liner on this one drops so far past the handle that I am very afraid of accidentally manipulating it while using the knife in some fashion. So while the knife is actually pretty well made I'm afraid to carry it and use it.
The AutoLawks on my CRKT M4 is great - that I don't have any worries about. The liner lock on my cheapie $10 Buck Whittaker folder is up inside enough I don't really worry about it. But this Freeman folder was a waste of money because of what I see as a design flaw even though the quality is there.
This site makes me ramble.

Edited by Nishnabotna (07/27/08 07:53 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 499 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.