Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Ok, I went back and found it. This is the post that, if true, means that your shot placement will be mostly a matter of luck and not practice.

Since you were quoting me, I feel it important to clarify what I believe is a misinterpretation on your part; that shot placement is a matter of luck and not practice.

Even though the statistics indicate the shooting under dures is more inaccurate than range shooting, the instructor emphasized that practicing simulating duress can improve performance. He said to have the weapon unloaded and have your wife scream in your ear and pull you by the hand/shirt to knock you off balance. He also said to try to backpedal over obstacles at the same time. Try to get front sight picture and squeeze off a "round". I've tried this and it's not easy.

Also, the statistic of 2 out of 10 can be further broken down when realizing that many, if not most of these documented shootings occur in darkness or semi-darkness. When the situation is in daylight with a single officer, the accuracy skyrockets to about 60%. But when it is multiple officers against the BG, the accuracy plummets to around 10%. This may be because multiple officer shootings often occur against a threatening perp with a long gun at some distance. See http://www.surefireinstitute.com/images/pdfs/Officer-Involved_Shooting_Study.pdf for the details.

Again, statistics are fraught with problems...think garbage in, garbage out, but it's all we've got to work with.

But my instructor clearly told us that practice, especially the right kind, will improve your shot placement under stress. Relying on luck would be insane.