Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#141213 - 07/24/08 05:55 PM Tarp Shelter Brainstorming
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I got to thinking about my tarps today and how I could better use them all year to maximum benefit by setting them up in a bit more eccentric a way. I had some thoughts and hopefully some of you have a bit of experience with this...I could save myself a little trial and error.

First some background. I used to use an Integral Designs tarp/poncho as shelter with a bivy bag for solo trekking. Somebody on this form reminded me a little while ago that doing this leaves me without rain gear while my shelter is built...something that had never come up (usually because I'm on the move a lot when I pack this light). So I bought a Silnylon Scout tarp from the MEC.

I got to thinking about ways I could combine the two to make a better shelter. I have the poncho anyhow and it's designed to be a tarp too so why not keep my options open? I might even learn a new thing or three about pitching tarps.

Some ideas I had were to pitch them both stacked over each other with a gap inbetween to kill condensation and trap some heat. With open ends I'm not sure that's worth it though. I also had an idea to sandwich a heatsheet between the two to reflect heat out or in.

Lastly I thought about setting them up in a style named a 'Fold over Wind Shed' in the tarp documentation on the equipped site ( http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm ) but setting one up inside the other with opposite sides open so that there was top ventilation but both sides are still covered like the old standby A-Frame set up...essentially getting the benefits of both styles and giving more room under the shelter.

Any of you have tips or tricks for setting up 2 ultralight tarps for shelter?

#141215 - 07/24/08 06:03 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I should add that the Tarp/Poncho is 5" x 8" and the Scout tarp is just short of 7" by 9".

#141221 - 07/24/08 07:28 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: ]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Wear a rain coat?

put the tarp up high between two trees and assemble the poncho under it. Then take down the tarp and use it as a groundsheet?

#141222 - 07/24/08 07:59 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What kind of bivy?

Long preamble, sorry:

My REI HooDoo 3 tent is rectangular, as are its relatively inexpensive "footprints" - designed to be an under-tent tarp. I think everything is roughly 7.5' by 7'. The footprints stuff into a small loaf of bread shape and have corner ties and grommets all over (I bought two).

I have the option to use any combination of the tent, the rainfly, one or two of the footprint tarps, a Thermarest mattress, an REI extreme lightweight bivy, a Wiggy's winter sleeping bag, and an REI 55+ travel sack (veryy light sleeping bag).

The lightest rig is to use one footprint under and folded over the travel bag, sometimes I use a pole or two to slant the part of the footprint over the travel bag up as a small lean-to shape. You could use the Silnylon Scout tarp the same way.

You could set the silnylon tarp up like a puptent or even a tube tent,, put the bivy down inside, and crawl inside just enough to remove the tarp-ponch.

I suppose you could reverse the roles of the two tarps, though I do not know why you would want to; especially if the rain were directionally consistent, you could pull the silnylon tarp over you, remove the tarp poncho under its cover, arect the tarp poncho, put the bivy down under the protection of the tarp poncho, crawl under and remove the silnylon tarp.

Another setup similar to one you mentioned requires setting up two "ridgeline" ropes, stacked vertically, and using two sets of tent pegs. one inside the other by about 6 inches.

Drape the smaller tarp over the bottom ridgeline at least 6 inches and secure to the ground on the long end using the inside pegs. and by rope to the inside set of tent pegs on the 6 inch overlap side. Drape the larger tarp over the top rope and overlap at least 6 inches on the same side as the longer side of the small tarp; secure the long end to the ground - to the outside pegs - and by rope from the 6 inch side to the outside pegs. What this does is create a vent-like space for air to get through but not rain, sun, starlight, etc..

Edited by dweste (07/24/08 08:41 PM)

#141226 - 07/24/08 08:16 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Because I use the bivy I rarely use a ground sheet. Sometimes a Heat Sheet in the winter if needed. I carry the heat sheet but only use it when I need to...which is never as my bag system is damn warm.

The bivy is an REI minimalist. With the tarp, I don't need any more than that. I've always gotten by with the relatively small tarp/poncho because leaving my feet hang out doesn't really put me in harms way...it's just a little cooler if I get rained on.

I put my MEC Kelvin short sleep pad inside the bivy for comfort and warmth. In winter I use a Thermarest RidgeRest as well between the bivy and the ground/snow. That pretty much is my ground sheet and keeps me from melting into hard snow.

#141228 - 07/24/08 08:43 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I also use the REI minimalist bivy, though I would like to replace it with another light bivy that has a full-length zipper.

#141245 - 07/24/08 10:31 PM Re: Tarp Shelter Brainstorming [Re: ]
backwoodsman Offline
Stranger

A buddy and me experimented with tarp tents and shelters last year and although I didn't prefer it, it was interesting the number of different sets possible. We settled on wrapping a D-ring onto our walking staff's to fasten to and staking down the rest. You would be suprised at the configurations you can come up with just by changing the location you clip to. These different possibilities are suited for just about any weather condition and with only a tarp (in a stuff sack) and staff, you lighten your load considerably.

He used an 8' X 8' and tried an 8' X 10', with the later being his preference.

I used a 12' X 14' nylon tafta that packed small, was light weight, and quite. It gave me room to sleep under with plenty of dry space in foul weather.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.