Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#140765 - 07/22/08 01:49 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: BillLiptak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

By subtle I implied silent, sorry. It's not quiet when that gas cartridge goes off...like a fire extinguisher.

#140766 - 07/22/08 01:53 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: BillLiptak]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If this knife worked, well and consistently (big IFs) how often would it's gas injecting ability be of use? Most of the things for which I use and would use a knife do not involve trying to blow the crap out of it.

I also don't see knives as tools that are that useful as defensive weapons agaisnt other people.

#140769 - 07/22/08 01:59 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I'd be willing to bet that it's a crummy knife...as a knife. It has a hollow section in it's blade, the handle is hollow for holding gas cannisters, and right where the blade needs to be strong, there's a valve mechanism.

Add to that the super chilling effect of decompressing gas and I bet the blade would snap off pretty easy given the right circumstances.

#140770 - 07/22/08 02:06 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I didn't mean offence Hacksaw, if I gave you that impression I am sorry. Haven't seen the videos as my phone isn't video capable. I agree with everything you have said about the knife quality wise from looking at the site's pictures and description. It is probally best as a tactical watermelon knife, melon self defence knife or novelty blade that doesn't see any real use.

-Bill Liptak

#140786 - 07/22/08 03:25 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: BillLiptak]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

No offence taken Bill. Just want to make sure we're on the same page. smile

If you get a chance to see the Youtube video linked, check it out...it's pretty rediculous IMO.

Their website looks very tacticool but the fact that the handle comes in a version covered in foam makes me really wonder how strong the handle is. Whatever it's made of can't be very thick if it's hollow and can be covered in foam.

If it seems like I'm posting a lot on this one it's because these things really scare me. Not scare me in the sense that I'm going to get my liver exploded on the bus one night by some kid...but eventually somebody will and the only thing that can come of it is that we'll lose a little more of our rights. Every time I hear about the laws in the UK and the US about knife carry I'm glad I live in Canada...but how long will it be before that happens here too?

What's next a flaming knife? Knife/Pepper spray combo (man would that hurt)? Sometimes I think these things get invented for no other reason than to attract bad press. You know what they say. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

#140789 - 07/22/08 03:27 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've been reading up on these things and it seems that cops England are treating them with all the seriousness that 'cop killer' bullets recieved in north america not too long ago.

Sounds like they're turning up on the streets over there already.

#140792 - 07/22/08 03:37 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: CANOEDOGS]
TomSwango Offline
Journeyman

This knife is for a "rambo" want to be, not a PSK.

#140881 - 07/22/08 11:38 PM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: TomSwango]
HerbG Offline

I can't think of anything good to say about this piece of mall-commando junk, but here is the link: www.waspknife.com/ Just be ready to part with $380 for the "pleasure" of owning one.

The British press is already raising a howl over the thought that somebody might import one into the UK, so the guardians of the U.S. media can't be far behind. A query on Google will turn up plenty of hits.

#140891 - 07/23/08 01:41 AM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: HerbG]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi HerbG

I really do wish this 'Waspknife' was really just a piece of mall-commando junk. This knife is designed to kill, period. The marketing of the waspknife as a weapon to defend against large preditors such as sharks and bears etc is a joke. It has no legimate use except as a weapon designed to kill human beings in a particularly nasty way.

I'm pretty sure that the same media outrage will begin in the US when the first victims of a simple stabbing will have an outcome on the morgue table, which looks like Mr Creosote.

I'm surprised this company also doesn't sell after market Ricin Pellets as well. Just to make sure the kill is totally complete.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (07/23/08 02:03 AM)

#140940 - 07/23/08 11:42 AM Re: Wasp Knife [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
HerbG Offline

Yeah, if they could just include Ricin it would be the "perfect weapon." I can just imagine some idiot trying how to explain to a jury how he used the Waspknife in self defense. "Well, he came at me, and I stabbed him to protect myself. Then I pushed that little button, his insides froze, and then he exploded all over me." I just don't see anything but trouble coming from this contraption, and it is most likely to affect lawful knife owners.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 473 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Lost in Northern California Mountains for 10 Days
by Ren
Yesterday at 08:36 PM
Growing a Garden in 2024?
by Eugene
Yesterday at 06:46 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/23/24 06:12 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by clearwater
06/12/24 11:25 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
06/09/24 07:45 PM
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.