Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#141509 - 07/26/08 02:13 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Russ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have seen little kits that appeared to be exactly like that, 'cept in orange, near the checkout in hardware stores for 'bout $3 or so...

#141514 - 07/26/08 02:44 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Kris,
You're wise to do the repair yourself. Benchmade is good, they'll ship parts to you and they'll also fix the knife if you send it in, BUT..... it costs shipping both ways, insurance, and most importantly at least 3 weeks time, more like 4. I know... I have experience with sending and receiving knives from them. They're honorable but busy.

All you need is a torx set, probably a #10 for the pivot and smaller one for the frame screws. A good place to get the Torx set is at Home Depot... I have one that costs about $6 and has all the sizes needed to work on knives.
Husky HD-74502 V. It has sizes #4 through #10 and a #15. You can look it up on the internet to see what it looks like if you want one of those.

The Axis springs are ridiculously simple to remove and install. When you get the knife apart, you'll see what I mean. I recommend NOT taking it apart until your new springs arrive (so everything will be fresh in your mind as you do it). Take care that you set the washers apart in a manner that you can remember to put them back in exactly as they came out.

It's so easy it will surprise you. Good luck.

ON EDIT: With some exceptions, folding knives are simple devices... they're just one step up from fixed blades!! smile

Benchmade's policy of voiding the warranty because the knife was taken apart worries alot of people. The biggest problem is the washers. They're designed to go in one way and on one side only. In alot of knives, one washer is larger in diameter and thicker than the other, usually on the side that must resist pressure from the lock or bearing. And in some knives, there are more than 1 washer on each side, each designed to go in a certain way. So...take care when removing and replacing the washers. I don;t worry about their warranty policy when it comes to taking the knife apart. The biggest concern here is that you'll take it apart to clean it or something and then later a different problem will arise and the warranty will be voided. Don;t worry about that, their warranty is to prevent people taking the knife apart and then not getting it back together correctly, then complaining because it's not smooth, or the blade is off-center in the frame, etc.

Edited by Stretch (07/26/08 02:53 PM)

#141520 - 07/26/08 03:15 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Stretch]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
OBG & Stretch,

Thanks for those tips. I'll be on the look out for some torx bits (fyi: one torx bit on a the swiss tool rachet set fits the pivot - 1/2 way there!).

Kris

#141535 - 07/26/08 05:38 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Once you get your new springs, there is a pretty useful diagram of how the springs go in right here on this site: http://www.equipped.org/pop_up_axis_lock.htm.

#143554 - 08/10/08 11:51 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Kris Offline
Addict

Just got the springs and fixed up the knife.

Its a simple basic repair, but getting those washers and knife blade to line up so you can slide the pivot through is a pain (really mean that... lets just say you can tell i just sharpened the blade)!!!!!

Anyways... easy fix. Thinking back, I should have asked for a few more springs.

#143627 - 08/11/08 12:30 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: Kris]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Kris
...snip...

Its a simple basic repair, but getting those washers and knife blade to line up so you can slide the pivot through is a pain (really mean that... lets just say you can tell i just sharpened the blade)!!!!!

...snip...

Standard knifemakers trick - duct tape the blade, or tape some cardboard to the blade. Makes things a TAD safer
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143639 - 08/11/08 01:12 PM Re: Benchmade Mini-Grip - busted axis lock [Re: KG2V]
Kris Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
[quote=Kris]

Standard knifemakers trick - duct tape the blade, or tape some cardboard to the blade. Makes things a TAD safer

Of course I didn't do that... i was too excited to get the springs and get my knife back in working condition!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
June
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 372 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by paulr
06/04/24 10:30 AM
Recent Signal Mirror Successes - more wanted
by paulr
06/03/24 08:35 AM
Hoover Stew
by dougwalkabout
05/26/24 03:03 AM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.