No kids.

"I heard a noise where none should have been and grabbed my bat and turned on the outside light to investigate. I was shocked to see a couple guys carrying some kind of weapons and tools and realized my bat would do no good, so I got my pepper spray and handgun.

When they tried to break in and didn't stop when I told them to, I dialed 911 then, or maybe I dialed 911 later, it was chaos and i don't really remember. I didn't think they could get in but suddenly it looked like they could. When I used the pepper spray through the hidden vent above the door it slowed them down but after a bit they returned. I was now in fear for my life and grabbed my shotgun, too, and yelled that I had it and would use it if they didn't leave.

I heard them now trying to get in a couple different places. There was no where for me to excape the situation. I discharged my handgun into the ceiling to prove I had it in hopes they would leave. I was afraid for my life.

They were not deterred and began firing into my house. I hid behind the couch. I thought they were going to kill me. I did not wait for them to succeed in getting in and fired my handgun through my doors and walls. I was afraid for my life.

No, they fired into my house before I fired at them.

It got very quiet except for some cursing and crying - none of it mine. I waited for the police to arrive, and then threw up a bit in the toilet; I flushed it three or four times and cleaned things up. The police took my stuff as evidence.

I don't know why the victims don't remember me yelling at them to stop or hearing the warning shot I fired into the ceiling.
Yes the couch I hid behind is reinforced to be relatively bulletproof. I thought they were going to kill me.

No, I didn't discharge my handgun into the ceiling after the fact. Yes, that part of the ceiling has been reinforced so you fire a handgun into it with minimal damage to the house and none to the roof, HVAC, electrical, or other home systems.

It was a graduated self-defense response that met the escalating threat to my life. I thought they were going to kill me. I was afraid for my life. My brother suggested all this; here's his card. Yes, he is in law enforcement - I'm guessing he will be here in a few minutes whether I call him or not.

Yes, this is a form letter I prepared ahead of time. I used it as a way to think through this kind of situation, never intending to use it, of course."