Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140391 - 07/19/08 06:53 PM Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested
BrianB Offline

OK, I've been lurking for some time and doing a lot of reading on the subject of being prepared for wilderness activities. I've put together a list of equipment, most of which I've yet to purchase, which I'd like to submit to the forum for review and feedback.

Background:

Location: Western Washington. Will be taking day hikes in state/national parks, mostly below the treeline and only 3 seasons (no winter hiking).

Knowledge: Some knowledge of basic outdoor skills from prior military field experience. Good knowledge of first aid. Weak knowledge of knot tying and less obvious plant food sources in my area.

Plan to attend a wilderness school or seminars in the area, so if anyone knows of a reputable local provider, that info would be appreciated. Also plan to re-certify on CPR and to take a Wilderness First Aid course. When time and funds permit, plan to take a Wilderness First Responder course as well.

Equipment List:

Clothing:

Hat, SPF rated outer clothing over moisture wicking inner layer, gortex boots, Columbia stuffable wind jacket.
Zipper pulls replaced with small braided paracord pulls (guessing each one will come to about a foot of paracord length)

Carried in Hand:

5' long Hickory Field and Stream Hiking Staff.
Paracord wrap near top. Probably 6-10 feet of cord, haven't wrapped it yet.

Carried On person:

On a Paracord key fob using a screwdown type link:
- Photon II white LED white
- Fox 40 Micro Whistle
- Lansky Sharpener
- LightMyFire Mini Firesteel
- Aluminum tube w/WetFire Tinder

Normal Key Fob
- Keys =)
- Coast LED flashlight
- Shorter Paracord fob

Lockblade Knife, plain edge, 3-3.5"
- Considering Options/budget on this one, currently using Benchmade Pika
- Will probably get a Ritter Griptilian if budget permits

Blaze Orange Bandana

Inhaler
Nasonex (prescription - can survive w/out it but would rather not grin )

Cell Phone

Watch (usually stuffed in a pocket, hate wearing them)

3.5" Rite in the Rain Pad
Fisher Space Pen
Golf Pencil (backup)

Sunnto M3D Leader Compass
USGS Topo Map, water protected (laminated or bagged)

US GI Poncho (in cargo pocket)
AMK Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy, packed flat if possible, if not possible, then Space All-Weather Emergency blanket

REI Day Pack First Aid Kit (in other cargo pocket)
- Add more knuckle and butterfly bandages
- Add triangle bandage
-Add non-latex exam gloves
- Add some Leukotape blister tape

In a water proof bag:
-Small bottle of Hand Sanitizer
-Small bottle of Ben's Insect Repellent (95% Deet)
-Mini Roll of Biodegradeable TP
-Small roll of duct tape
-Some Katadyn Micropur water purification tablets (4-6)

Carried in Maxpedition 10x4 Water Bottle Holder:
- Braided paracord shoulder strap
- 32oz Nalgene Water Bottle
- Metal cup nested w/Water Bottle (from Campmor)
- Victorinox Spirit Plus multitool w/out ratchet set
- Starflash or Rescue Flash Signal Mirror
- Fox 40 Classic (full sized) Whistle (redundant but tiny)
- LED Mini Maglite
- Spare batteries
- Butane Lighter (Undecided on model)
- Spark-Lite Firestarter Kit
+ some WetFire tinder
- Katadyn Micropur water purification Tabs
-1liter Aqua Pack bag (x2; three total)
- Titanium Spork
-Survival Resources Emergency Fishing Kit with a few extra hooks added
-Enough Snare Wire to set three or four Squirrel Poles
-Small Ace type bandage
-Blister Kit: Plastic tube of Tincture of Benzoin wrapped with Leukotape blister tape
- 2 oz Tube of REI SPF 50 Sunblock
- Plastic Tube with OTC pain, allergy, antihistamine pills and aspirin, labeled w/ expiration dates
- Plastic Tube of Tincture of Iodine
- OTC Nasal Spray bottle (sanitary saline for flushing wounds)
- 1 oz Tube of Triple Biotic ointment w/pain reliever
- Water proof bag with additional bandages and gauze supplies for larger wounds
- Non-Latex Exam gloves
- SAM splint (if it fits)
- CPR Mask (if it fits)
-Mini Roll of Biodegradeable TP
-Small roll of duct tape
-550 Para Cord
-Plastic tube(s) with rice and bullion cubes
- A couple of Cliff bars or similar high calorie/carb bars
- Outdoor Knot Cards
- Fishing Knot Cards (to occupy my mind and b/c I'm not great with remember knots!)
- Spare wool socks (if they fit, else smashed in a pocket somewhere)
- AA Battery Cell Phone charger

Benchmade Fixed Bladed (plain edged) Griptilian hooked on outside of bottle holder.

Opposite side and front has the capability of adding small pouches to expand the unit's capacity. Considering moving the

first aid supplies to one of them so they're quicker access, and so the interior isn't as crowded.

Notes:

I opted not to carry food procurement items on my person, due to the rule of 3 priorities and the short duration of my outings. Also, in regards to food procurement, I've decided to focus on fishing and on primarily squirrel poles for snaring, as squirrels are abundant here and these are the easiest and fastest to set up.

Since I don't have the containers, I'm not sure about the capacities on everything, but this stuff is all pretty lightweight and packable. As noted above, the water bottle carrier can be expanded with add on pouches.

I may initially opt for a Bic lighter instead of a butane due to cost.

I'm thinking of toting three of the water bags in case I have to use them for transpiration or cannibalize the plastic for other uses. They're a bit small for transpiration bags, but with three hung, may get better results. Chances are, water won't be an issue in most locations I'll be hiking, though.

#140392 - 07/19/08 07:28 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Looks good to me. Very similar to what I take on a day hike.

#140398 - 07/19/08 08:17 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
Jerry Offline
Stranger

Does anyone have any information on potassium promagnate?

#140399 - 07/19/08 08:21 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: Jerry]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Jerry
Does anyone have any information on potassium promagnate?

What do you want to know? or better google it.

Mine opinion on the stuff, the stuff is not useful and documented enough to balance out the dangers of it.

#140400 - 07/19/08 08:24 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Nice kit, I'm sensing a certain fondness for paracord...;^)

The only thing I'd change is some of your first aid stuff, get some sealed providone iodine wipes and some small packets of triple antibiotic ointment instead of tubes. Tubes break and leaked tincture of iodine is a mess.

If you can't find a source, let me know and I can send you a couple of each. I work as a film/event Set Medic and keep a pretty good stock of first aid supplies on hand as I have to provide all of my own gear for work.

I'd also add some antiseptic wipes and some isopropyl alcohol wipes, good for cleaning wounds and disinfecting items like sporks. The antiseptic wipes are available at REI and the alcohol wipes can be found at any decent drug store, look for diabetic patient supplies.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#140404 - 07/19/08 10:09 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: JohnE]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: JohnE
Nice kit, I'm sensing a certain fondness for paracord...;^)

When you're as bad at tying knots as I am, it doesn't hurt to have some extra. =)

Quote:

The only thing I'd change is some of your first aid stuff, get some sealed providone iodine wipes and some small packets of triple antibiotic ointment instead of tubes. Tubes break and leaked tincture of iodine is a mess.

Actually, I meant repacking it into some hard plastic tubes.

Quote:

I'd also add some antiseptic wipes and some isopropyl alcohol wipes, good for cleaning wounds and disinfecting items like sporks. The antiseptic wipes are available at REI and the alcohol wipes can be found at any decent drug store, look for diabetic patient supplies.

John E

Good idea.

Thanks!

#140412 - 07/19/08 11:03 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
BrianB If you don't know the area
1. Don't go alone
2. Tell people where you will be
3. Don't go alone
4. Leave a message with Park Officals as to where you'll be hiking

Just my 2 cents

Mike

#140413 - 07/19/08 11:45 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: kd7fqd]
BrianB Offline

Mike,

Definitely! I'll be going with my wife. Her family lives in state and will have our info. Basically, we're planning to start going to state parks next year, renting a cabin for a weekend and taking walks out from the cabin and back. So, leaving word with the park officials should be no problem.

First, though, we want to get into better shape, so for the rest of the non-miserable months this year, we're just walking on the trail next to our house. That one's pretty much impossible to get lost on, and getting lost usually puts you at a mini mart. =) Plus, we have cell phone coverage there, should there be any mishap.

#140416 - 07/20/08 02:23 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: NightHiker]
JustinC Offline

Loc: New England
I second NightHiker - a USGI poncho is big and heavy in a cargo pocket. And worse (in my opinion) it creates an uncomfortable swinging motion when walking.

Knots, I'm sure others will beg to differ, but in my opinion you only need to know five: 1. figure of eight (and a retrace figure of eight), 2. a bowline, 3. prusik, 4. double sheet bend, and 5. square knot, you can do just about anything that needs doing with rope/cord/string. To learn how check here.

#140422 - 07/20/08 04:44 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Don't know about Washington, but here in Colorado if you are hiking at treeline/tundra/snow in Summer you better have some mosquito repellent! For Spring and Fall I'd add a watchcap and gloves and some kind of insulating layer - down vest, etc. Sunglasses are a must too. I would go for the pencil over a Fisher Spacepen. My Spacepens have always globbed ink. A small headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus, or similar) will be lots better than a Photon II (but keep the Photon for backup). Also, get yourself one of those metal cups that nests over the base of your Nalgene bottle. This doesn't add any bulk when carried this way and it gives you a ready container to boil things in should that be necessary. I wouldn't mess with an expensive butane lighter. Just get a Bic, and also some waterproofed matches. And some of those trick "Can't blow 'em out" birthday candles. Hold your trick candle with the wick right up against the matchhead when you strike it. The wind may blow out the match after the head is done burning, but you'll have that trick candle lit and that may do wonders for you in the wind.

#140443 - 07/20/08 01:23 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: JustinC]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A clove hitch (for attaching a line to something) and a tautline hitch (for adjusting guy lines on a tent or tarp) are pretty handy too...

#140446 - 07/20/08 01:50 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
I can see another reason to keep the number of knots down that I've been struggling with lately. I've been learning some new knots just for fun and found that for some I could have sworn I had down cold I had to actually look up. If you stick with 10-15 I think you will have an easier time keeping in practice and making sure that you have them down to the point where you can do them when you're hungry, tired, cold and unfocused but still be able to find one that's right for the job

And to add to the list I one I think you should learn that I wonder how many people bother with: Monkey's Fist (http://www.igkt.net/beginners/monkeys-fist.php)

Edited by MRPrice (07/20/08 01:51 PM)

#140449 - 07/20/08 02:35 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: Tjin]
Jerry Offline
Stranger

I just wanted to know what it's main uses are? Such as water purification,antiseptic applications.

how much per quart for water purification?

#140457 - 07/20/08 04:28 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: JustinC]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great that you added location, training and seasons to your list - Much easier to understand the needs of your kit.

#140538 - 07/21/08 01:46 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: TeacherRO]
duckear Offline
Addict

seems like a lot for a day hike

how much does all that weigh?

#140540 - 07/21/08 01:58 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: JustinC]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I carry one of these while hiking: http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/09136.html

All you do is scoop up some water from a lake or stream, put the cap on, and drink.

#140552 - 07/21/08 05:49 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
BrianB Offline

Regarding knots: I tend to forget them if I don't use them for a while.

Regarding the GI Poncho: Carried one for years stuffed in a cargo pocket. It's not a great way to carry the thing, but I can live with it. It's a very useful piece of gear. Though, looking at the prices on 'em online, it's not much more to get a high tech lighter one.

Regarding the Space Pen: The things are nigh indestructible. However, you'll note there's also a pencil on the list as backup. =)

Regarding mosquito repellent: I'm guessing the 95% DEET repellent will do the job on 'em.

#140553 - 07/21/08 05:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: duckear]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: duckear
seems like a lot for a day hike

how much does all that weigh?

Well, it's not for a day hike. It's for when a day hike turns into a week hike unexpectedly, and that's been known to happen. I don't plan to get way out in the back country, but you can still get into a world of hurt right in your own back yard if you have bad luck.

It's a long list, but most of the items don't weigh much. I plan to do my short hikes near home loaded down to test the weight, and will adjust it as needed, or switch to a small pack instead of the water carrier's pouch. In fact, that'd probably give me a good spot to stuff my outer layers if I get hot from walking, and I could keep the poncho stowed in an outer pocket too, so I may go that route anyway.

#140557 - 07/21/08 06:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: haertig]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: haertig
A small headlamp (Petzl Tikka Plus, or similar) will be lots better than a Photon II (but keep the Photon for backup).

I considered the headlamp idea, but decided to go for a mini-maglite instead. I figured in a survival situation moving about in the dark is just inviting an accident, and with the mini-maglite I can set it up for area light. I also have the photon type light and a small Coast LED light for backup. The mini-mag can also be used creatively for a couple of other things that a little head lamp can't.

#140597 - 07/21/08 03:38 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
At the risk of boring you, I offer yet again the approach I take to evaluating what gear is appropriate.

I think you might examine your kit against the Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food). And then I suggest checking to see if you have gear in each of whatever survival categories you salute; at this time mine include First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

If you used these criteria for a moment to review your kit, what would you see?

Edited by dweste (07/21/08 03:39 PM)

#140706 - 07/22/08 02:05 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: dweste]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
The regular Mini-Maglite is needlessly heavy. I don't understand why people still buy those, there are much nicer lights (i.e. the Fenix brand comes to mind, or other generic equivalents) out there for the price, and they are lighter as well.

A good headlamp with spares batteries is one of the essentials you must absolutely never be without. Bring it everytime you hike, even during the day. Don't rely on the Photon only. You could use NiMH rechargeables but bring alkaline as backups (or Lithium for multiday trips or during the winter).

It's not as hard as many people think to survive a few days in the wilderness. It mostly depends on your mindset. In the winter, there's nothing like spending a whole night around a fire and just enjoying the wind and snow falling down. I do this often with a buddy of mine, we build a fire, collect tons of firewood, sit down on our foam pads and just chat and laugh until 4 am.

The only thing we use to "survive" is proper clothing, a foam pad, a compass, a GPS, fire-starting material, a Bahco Laplander saw and some whiskey (beer has a tendency to freeze... lol).

Try to keep it simple. It's very easy to go overboard especially if you browse these forums for too long. smile I wouldn't bother with the metal cup, the larger knives, the sharpener, the firesteel (you have a Bic and the Spark-Lite already), the poncho (I prefer a Gore-tex jacket), the spork (unless you planned your meal and really need it). Also, careful with the containers and pouches. More weight. Maxpedition stuff is extremely rugged and great for some uses but for a recreational hiker, there are much lighter alternatives.

#140831 - 07/22/08 06:33 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: NightHiker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I only use headlights for a few things these days and have really learned to hate them since I started doing SAR work. There's only so many times a person can handle having his night vision ruined by a dude with a headlamp.

I carry a Petzl E+LITE as an emergency light but prefer flashlights unless I need both hands for something. Much more control when the light is in your hand. Even if I do need both hands I'll put my Infinity Ultra in my teeth before busting the headlamp out of it's bubble.

If you're patient, and the moon is out, you can usually go pretty far into the night without needing any light. Once you use it though, night vision can take up to 40 minutes to come back.

#140921 - 07/23/08 06:27 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: SARbound]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: SARbound
The regular Mini-Maglite is needlessly heavy. I don't understand why people still buy those, there are much nicer lights (i.e. the Fenix brand comes to mind, or other generic equivalents) out there for the price, and they are lighter as well.

I considered a head lamp. But there are things a mini-mag lite can do that a headlamp can't. I don't consider the weight at all. I can't obsess over a couple ounces. I'll probably cut the list above down anyway, and shave some weight that way, but the benefits of the mag lite, both in the kit and out of the kit are greater than the headlamp for me. Given the funds, I'd go for a Surefire light, but I don't have the funds.

Quote:

A good headlamp with spares batteries is one of the essentials you must absolutely never be without. Bring it everytime you hike, even during the day. Don't rely on the Photon only. You could use NiMH rechargeables but bring alkaline as backups (or Lithium for multiday trips or during the winter).

Handy, yes. Essential? No. I don't move in the dark, period. It's too easy to get injured in the dark. I have serious and permanent damage to a knee from putting a foot in a gopher hole in the dark in the Army. I have painful arthritis in both knees as a result of that one injury. So, essential? No. If I'm in a survival situation, I'm not risking injury to move around after dark. The maglite can be made into a lantern by standing it in its head, and provides good enough area light to accomplish in camp tasks.

Quote:

It's not as hard as many people think to survive a few days in the wilderness. It mostly depends on your mindset. In the winter, there's nothing like spending a whole night around a fire and just enjoying the wind and snow falling down. I do this often with a buddy of mine, we build a fire, collect tons of firewood, sit down on our foam pads and just chat and laugh until 4 am.

I agree here. And I've stayed out with far less in far harsher conditions none the worse for wear. Now, toss in a blizzard, rain/thunder storm, or serious injury. Not so cozy. I've got no fear at all of surviving a simple outing.

Quote:

The only thing we use to "survive" is proper clothing, a foam pad, a compass, a GPS, fire-starting material, a Bahco Laplander saw and some whiskey (beer has a tendency to freeze... lol).

I'll pass on the whiskey. =)

Quote:

Try to keep it simple. It's very easy to go overboard especially if you browse these forums for too long. smile

Too true! Expensive, too.

Quote:

I wouldn't bother with the metal cup, the larger knives, the sharpener, the firesteel (you have a Bic and the Spark-Lite already), the poncho (I prefer a Gore-tex jacket), the spork (unless you planned your meal and really need it). Also, careful with the containers and pouches. More weight. Maxpedition stuff is extremely rugged and great for some uses but for a recreational hiker, there are much lighter alternatives.

metal cup: stays. I just like metal cups, what can I say?

larger knife: goes. I just picked up a Benchmade mini-grip, which is more than sufficient for most cutting tasks. I'll likely skip the multitool, though the pliers could be handy. I may sub in a SAK, because I like 'em, and having an extra knife in a zipped up pocket is probably a good idea in case the one clipped on my pants loses itself.

firesteel: goes, good points

spork: has multiple uses, is relatively flat, and weighs almost nothing. I think I'll keep it. Heck, even if I don't eat with it, I may need to use it to dig a cat hole. (one of the things the fixed blade could help with)

Sharpener: stays. I just like having a little sharpener to carry around, whether for this purpose or in general.

The Maxpedition piece in question is made of heavier material than need be, but is not a large piece itself. It's just a water bottle holder with a pouch on the outside. I'd never carry one of their packs. Still, I'm considering just ditching it for a small pack like the REI Stoke 19. (http://www.rei.com/product/762532)

I'm going to ditch both the fishing kit and the snare wire. I really won't be going out far enough to be stuck for three weeks without some other human stumbling across me. Besides, I can live off my fat for FAR longer than 3 weeks. laugh

I'll probably just augment the first aid kit with more of the same type of envelopes rather than repackage some liquids. Flatter, less weight, and even though the others may have a shorter shelf life, I can suck up the sting and use the hand sanitizer as a backup in case the packs are all dried up and I need to sanitize an injury.

Thanks for the input! Much good food for thought.

Edited by BrianB (07/23/08 06:37 AM)

#140922 - 07/23/08 06:36 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: NightHiker]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

For an area light try a clear (or light color) nalgene bottle full or water and wrap the headlamp around it with the light shining into the bottle - nice ambiance.

That is a very cool idea!

#140924 - 07/23/08 06:50 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I only use headlights for a few things these days and have really learned to hate them since I started doing SAR work. There's only so many times a person can handle having his night vision ruined by a dude with a headlamp.

If you're patient, and the moon is out, you can usually go pretty far into the night without needing any light. Once you use it though, night vision can take up to 40 minutes to come back.

I have red lenses on my headlight and flashlight to preserve my night vision, and that of those around me.

#140929 - 07/23/08 07:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
BrianB, you can still get away with your Mini Maglite. Just buy a NiteIze headband! The NiteIze Headband!! It's the Maglite's best friend.

Unless you plan on wearing a Petzl helmet and do some extreme climbing or other sports, you don't really need a Petzl headlamp...

To preserve night vision and not scare the earthworms you're collecting for your fishing trip next morning, use red cellophane or better, buy the red filters:

http://www.penrithsurvival.com/penrith_survival/55/mia/d/maglite+red+filters+2/pid/2578692

Frankie

#140930 - 07/23/08 07:52 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: BrianB

Regarding the GI Poncho: Carried one for years stuffed in a cargo pocket. It's not a great way to carry the thing, but I can live with it. It's a very useful piece of gear. Though, looking at the prices on 'em online, it's not much more to get a high tech lighter one.

In basic training, we carried our ponchos tightly rolled secured to the back of our web belts with two blousing straps:

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?xax=29626&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=21078&M5%2Ectx=21078&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Handy, compact and out of the way, I think you could to it with a normal belt.

#140954 - 07/23/08 12:49 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: dweste]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

I have red lenses on my headlight and flashlight to preserve my night vision, and that of those around me.

Ever been flashed in the eyes with a red light at night? It's every bit annoying as a regular light, it just hurts slightly less and your night vision doesn't take quite so long to return. If the light is brighter than what's needed to read at about 6 inches, then it's too bright for your night vision. Most headlamps with red LEDs seem way too bright for me...they're just for reading maps and such. I carry a Gerber DIAL recon (basically the Infinity Ultra with a rotating blue, red, green, and clear lense) for reading in the dark without killing my eyes...it's very dim and works perfectly for that task.

#140986 - 07/23/08 03:28 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I prefer my mini-mag with a red lens. It seems to work best for me.

#141013 - 07/23/08 05:07 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NightHiker

For an area light try a clear (or light color) nalgene bottle full or water and wrap the headlamp around it with the light shining into the bottle - nice ambiance.

That is a very cool idea!

The commercial version:

http://www.guyotdesigns.com/firefly

#141025 - 07/23/08 06:01 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: Crowe]
BrianB Offline

Originally Posted By: Crowe

In basic training, we carried our ponchos tightly rolled secured to the back of our web belts with two blousing straps:

http://www.brigadeqm.com/cgi-bin/tame.exe/store/level4c.tam?xax=29626&pagenumber%2Eptx=1&M5COPY%2Ectx=21078&M5%2Ectx=21078&M2%5FDESC%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&level3%2Ectx=level3c%2Etam&BC3%2Ectx=Clothing&BC4%2Ectx=Clothing%20Accessories&backto=%2Fstore%2Flevel3c%2Etam

Handy, compact and out of the way, I think you could to it with a normal belt.

I did that too.

However, in Berlin, in the miserable, wet winter in the field, the sucker got stuffed in a cargo pocket for quick access. Taking it on and off the belt constantly was way too time consuming.

#141059 - 07/23/08 09:15 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
dchinell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: FL
The only things I noted on comparing your list to mine...

Titanium spork: I think you're further ahead with a spoon. The spork seems like a good idea, but it really just limits the volume of the spoon, and the tines aren't needed. You can always whittle chopsticks.

CPR Mask (if it fits): Seems like overkill. This assumes you'll be doing CPR on a stranger you encounter on a day hike. Your decision, but I don't carry one.

Gortex boots: I do better with regular New Balance running shoes for dry days and a pair of Teva sandals for wet days.

Emergency drink: maybe you could include some pouches of rehydration mix -- dehydration seems like a likely health problem. I carry EmergenC pouches. Good for an energy boost as well.

Micropur tablets: You're planning on being rescued within three days, so you need at least 9 tabs (3 L x 3 days) to be comfortably hydrated while you wait, without needing to boil water.

Glasses: Spare eyeglasses if you need them.

Gloves: Thin leather work gloves are handy for rough work. Totally optional. I don't carry them on day hikes. Some do.

Mess kit: My standby mess kit is a pot, bowl, cup, and spoon. You've got the cup and spoon part covered, but I wonder if you'd be content to boil up a squirrel in your little Nalgene cup? Maybe an MSR Stowaway pot could hold some of your gear and make a more spacious water boiler etc.? You could use the pot for a bowl as well, or take a few freezer ZipLock bags and eat out of them.

Shovel: Optional -- you may enjoy crafting a digging stick with your knives. This is more an overnight item than a dayhike item. (I'm talking about a little plastic poop scoop shovel -- or the deluxe U-Dig-It folding metal shovel.)

Towelettes: Glad to see you've got hand sanitizer for after you use your TP. But I also like to carry towlettes to clean up or just freshen up. Again, optional and more for overnights than day hikes.

Trash bag: I'm talking about a bag to actually put your trash in. Like a flimsy grocery store bag with handles. But that makes me think about the large, heavy-duty trash bags for shelter that you can loan out to the ill-prepared hikers you encounter. I find they stay under control if I sort of "vacuum seal" a neatly folder bag inside a ZipLock bag.

That's it.

Bear

#141073 - 07/23/08 11:00 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: dchinell]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Originally Posted By: dchinell

CPR Mask (if it fits): Seems like overkill. This assumes you'll be doing CPR on a stranger you encounter on a day hike. Your decision, but I don't carry one.

If your trained and comfortable with your skills, I would carry one. The last thing I want to happen to me is for someone to need CPR and I don;t have a mask, but if your trained and not comfortable, just do compression only CPR

Originally Posted By: dchinell

Gloves: Thin leather work gloves are handy for rough work. Totally optional. I don't carry them on day hikes. Some do.

I have a pair of work gloves that I always wear... they call them calluses... I get them a lot because I climb, so I usually don't need gloves for the kind of stuff that others need them for... Plus, I hate gloves with a vigour. smile

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#141205 - 07/24/08 04:50 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Berlin is one of those wonderful places where rains quickly roll through. My first day in Berlin was a continous cycle of 10 minute downpour, 20 minutes of sunshine. Fun place.

#142424 - 08/01/08 01:08 AM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: Crowe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Overall, your gear looks pretty good.

In terms of your clothing (UPF shirt, wicking underlayer, stuffable wind jacket), those are all excellent choices. You might consider adding a light weight fleece depending on the predicted overnight low. I always bring a light weight fleece cap and some lightweight gloves. You could probably dispense with the gloves depending on the predicted wx, but I bring the little cap even in the summer. One loses a lot of heat through one's head. Were I wet and were it windy, that cap could be a real life saver for mere ounces and not much bulk.

In terms of footwear I think I'll disagree with dchinell's recommendation to go with running shoes or Tevas. I think you'll get a lot more support and protection with boots than Tevas. Gortex boots will keep you way drier than running shoes. Were I in FL like dchinell, I might go with running shoes; it's warm in FL. In the Pacific NW, it can be cold and wet. Better dry feet I think.

You're right on with carrying a dry pair of socks. If there's a real chance of getting wet, I'll sometimes carry three pair. Two pair to swap out depending on which pair is wettest and one additional pair that is just for an overnight bivvy if things "go south." Maybe not so important in summer, but on a cold, wet fall day, I want at least one pair of dry socks in case "something" happens. I wouldn't carry dry socks on an "if they fit" basis. I think they're really more important than we might give them credit for. If space or weight were an issue, than I'd drop the CPR mask and the SAM splint. Both good pieces of kit, but to my mind not as necessary as dry socks. One of the perils of being well equipped is to neglect the basics and to carry a lot of good but less fundamental gear.

The hickory staff will also be a bit heavy, although it's a nice weapon if needed. I personally have some of those new fangled aluminum trekking poles which work well for me and could be used to jab/spear but wouldn't work as a quarter staff like your hickory would.

Regarding tinder, Wetfire is of course excellent stuff. However if the packaging is compromised, Wetfire quickly becomes useless. It's a good idea to periodically inspect/rotate Wetfire. I notice that you carry a Spark-lite kit. If by kit you mean that you carry some Tinder-qwik (or the equivalent) in addition to the Spark-lite, then I think that's a good back up to the potentially finicky Wetfire.

In the Wilderness First Aid class I took last year, they recommended soap and water over antiseptics. Apparently antiseptics slow the healing process whereas soap and water do not. Antibiotic ointment definitely, but you might just carry a small bar of soap rather than an antiseptic wipe. Something to consider anyway.

Regarding military ponchos, I still use mine. However, in a rainy place like the Pacific NW, you might want to either wear full raingear (pants and coat) particularly in cooler wx or to augment your poncho with rain chaps or rain pants. I find that when it rains hard or when I go through wet vegetation, my legs get really soaked, sometimes to the point that my socks get soaked too.

With regard to a spork, I think a couple of people have mentioned it already, but I personally prefer a spoon. It's hard to get into the corners of my bowl with a spork: the food often slips through the tines. A spoon can get those last drops of soup and small bits of food. If I really need to have jabbing capability, I use my knife. Uncivilized I know, but practical.

I'm +1 on headlamps. A flashlight held in the mouth is a pain in the proverbial butt. Outdoors, with no ceiling and walls to reflect off of, a mini-mag might have problems serving as an area light, and I'm not sure you'll always find a good way to prop it up. Experiment around and see what you like. Perhaps that Nite-Ize head band that Frankie recommended is a good compromise and would allow you to go either way.

One thing I don't see is a potty trowel (did I miss it?). One really should bury human waste about 6" down or so. You could use your knife or possibly even your staff, but a plastic potty trowel weighs little and would work quite a bit better than either. In some areas, potty trowels are required; check your local regs.

With all of this stuff, time and experience are good teachers. Try new things, ask what works for others, etc. After 40+ years of hiking, I'm still experimenting and fine tuning.

Have a great time; the Pac NW is great hiking country.

Edited by Hikin_Jim (08/01/08 01:12 AM)
Edit Reason: correct spelling error

#142840 - 08/04/08 09:26 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Quote:

Handy, yes. Essential? No. I don't move in the dark, period. It's too easy to get injured in the dark. I have serious and permanent damage to a knee from putting a foot in a gopher hole in the dark in the Army. I have painful arthritis in both knees as a result of that one injury. So, essential? No. If I'm in a survival situation, I'm not risking injury to move around after dark. The maglite can be made into a lantern by standing it in its head, and provides good enough area light to accomplish in camp tasks.

For whatever reason, I was thinking about this post last night, and I thought I'd say something about it.

Firstly, I understand completely your perspective, particularly given your injury, but hiking with a light is quite different from patrolling in the army while maintaining noise and light discipline.

Secondly, I think having more options is a good thing in a suvival or emergency situation. For example, you're out on a hike of some sort, it's late afternoon, and your hiking partner starts really lagging. Finally your hiking partner can go no further, but by now you've lost so much time since your hiking partner has been hiking at such a slow pace that you can't get back to the trail head by dark. Your hiking partner is obviously deteriorating fast, he may not make it through the night, and there's nothing you can do for him with the training and FAK that you have. You calculate that you would only be on the trail in the dark for about 60 minutes after dark.

So, what do you do? Personally, although night hiking isn't my favorite, I'd hike out and go for help.

Admittedly, the above scenario doesn't happen every day, but my point is this: You can't always control your external environment. You never know when hiking after dark might be the lesser of two evils. Having the option of being able to hike in the dark might be really nice to have even if only to prevent folks from worrying about you and starting a needless SAR operation.

Just something to think about.

Edited by Hikin_Jim (08/04/08 09:30 PM)
Edit Reason: correct grammar.

#142842 - 08/04/08 09:30 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: Hikin_Jim]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with you Jim!!!

#142969 - 08/05/08 11:44 PM Re: Proposed Day Hiking Kit, Feedback Requested [Re: BrianB]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I considered a head lamp. But there are things a mini-mag lite can do that a headlamp can't.

Since you mentioned this a couple of times, I'm really curious to know what other uses does a Minimag have that a headlamp doesn't? Is it only mini-mags that have this feature, or just flashlights in general as opposed to headlamps? I can think of a few non-standard uses, but nothing that would be useful

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.