Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139247 - 07/10/08 04:59 AM Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions...
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Well, it's time to upgrade to a larger tent. I have a Eureka! Timberlite 2XT that has seen more than a few years of use. It's been a great tent, but a little too small for 2 adults. I like the A-frame setup and after checking out a few "family" tents at an outdoor store recently, I wasn't impressed with the quality.

So I've been eyeballing the Timberline 4 series. Apparently there is a Timberline 4 (the regular model), Timberline 4XT (included vestibule) and the Timberline 4 Outfitter (model that many Boy Scout troops use with heavy-duty construction).

Just curious if anyone here has any experience with any of the above, especially if the Timberline 4 Outfitter is worth the jump in price. Thanks in advance!

#139539 - 07/13/08 12:49 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: cedfire]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I have not had a Timberline, but I did have a Timberline Alpine Meadows 6 (no longer made), which was pretty much the same tent as the Timberline 6, except that it had a center hoop that pulled out the sides of the tent. It was a great tent, with a heavy oxford cloth floor, great volume, stand up room for me (6'2"), easy setup and move once set up if necessary, completely water/weather-tight that saw many one and two week-long family (wife, two kids and a dog that had to sleep in the tent) camping trips. Finally, I had to give it up as the zipper for the door would constantly fail to zip the door closed in a couple of places. I even sent it back for repair to no avail. I have no idea as to what caused the zipper to fail as there were no apparent signs such as bent teeth or anything else. If my kids weren't grown, my second wife didn't hate camping and the tent were still available, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

#139548 - 07/13/08 03:36 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: saniterra]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The Timberlines and their relatives are GREAT tents that have succesfully housed folks for decades ...

... and therein lies the only real issue. They are VERY old technology and have poor volume to weight, since they are triangular. Dome tents are much more "semi-circular" which means that they have excellent space for the weight of the tent.

I recently read a book that said A-frames were fine if you're attending a civil war reenactment, but otherwise to avoid them.

By the way, one of the reasons Scout troops use the Timberlines is that Eureka makes individual spare parts available - or at least they used to. That is useful to troops when boys tend to leave parts - especially the small awning poles behind.

The earlier dome tents were somewhat limited by the technologies of the poles, but today's aluminum-poled dome tents are VERY strong and VERY easy to setup. One of the keys on all tents is to use storm guys if wind is anticipated - or even if it isn't. Storm guys GREATLY strengthen tents in high wind.

My advice would be to buy a more modern dome tent. Look for:

-aluminum poles
-clips to attach poles to tent body
-full nearly-to-the-ground rain fly
-vestibules over each door
-two doors (makes exiting easier, reaching gear inside easier, and provides a spare if one of the zippers jams)
-nylon or polyester floors - none of that plastic tarp material

Some recommended tents:

-REI Half Dome or Quarter Dome
-Alps Mountaineering Taurus (w/ aluminum poles) or Vertex
-Eureka makes nice tents, but some of the designs are overly fancy or odd (to me)

#139588 - 07/14/08 09:38 AM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: cedfire]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I would agree with KenK that the Timberline series other than the smaller extra-lights are not good backpacking tents because of the size to weight issue, but you didn't say you were looking for a backpacking tent. My Alpine Meadows model was great for car camping though, lasted through twenty years of summer camping, and had the best ventilation of any tent I have ever owned. That includes dome tents, single wall ultra-lights and semi-A frames (elongated coffin-shaped floors, higher in the front than in the rear and so forth) that are mostly netting sides/tops with a fly. So, if you're looking for a roomy two person backpacking tent, you're better off looking at ultra-light three man tents or perhaps a good siltarp with a floored and netted nest.

#139601 - 07/14/08 03:01 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: saniterra]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Much depends upon what you are using the tent for such as car camping verus backpacking versus a canoe trip excetera. Many years ago I bought a 4 person Alpine Meadows and liked it so much I've since bought the 2 person and 6 person versions via ebay. Eureka still makes the Alpine Meadows in a 4 and 6 person version in Canada.
http://www.eurekatentscanada.com/product...=1&prod=124

You can find a Canadian web dealer who will ship to the US. The Alpine Meadows is a great tent.

#139611 - 07/14/08 04:48 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: justmeagain]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

I didn't say anything about backpacking. Dome tents give more head and shoulder room than A-frames regardless of the height, floor area, headcount, or phase of the moon.

Eureka's A-frames were great in their day.

You'd be much better off with a high quality dome tent, or if it doesn't need to be self-standing, the tunnel tents (not sure if that's the right term) that are so popular now in Europe have great space and are very easy to put up. These are the ones where you stake out the front and back, and the frame creates a sort of tunnel. They're not so popular in the US yet - cabin tents seem to be making some kind of comeback, but Eureka Canada sells some of these.

#139613 - 07/14/08 05:11 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: KenK]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I find most 'family' tents are anything but rugged though they are good tents.

When my wife and I are looking for a laid back car camping trip we use a Columbia Bugaboo II tent. We put a queen size air matress and sleeping bag in and there's still room for all our gear and room to stand up as it's over 70" tall in the center. Most people forget that a tent can be tall but if it's a dome tent it's only that tall in the center. You might have to stand on your tent-mates to enjoy that height. It's the only family tent I could find with a full rain fly and proper vents at ground level which was still affordable. You can get them on Amazon.com for under $140.

When weather is a concern or we're backpacking or just want super easy set up and tear down we use the Nemo Morpho AR. No living space inside but it's one hell of a well built tent.

#139817 - 07/16/08 02:32 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: ]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

The Alpine Meadows is a bit of a hybrid design. The basic tent is an A-Frame Timberline, but the added center hoop makes it more like a tunnel tent. However, unlike a tunnel tent the Alpine Meadows is self supporting as with a dome tent. If weight is not an over-riding consideration (such as a canoe trip) the Alpine Meadows is a great design.

The ongoing popularity of the Timberline with scout troops is also economic. Timberlines are cheap, easy to set up and durable.

#139839 - 07/16/08 05:53 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: justmeagain]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

When I was in college I owned a modified Timberline that had the fiberglass hoop over the middle, but it also had fiberglass poles on each side going from corner to corner - then the middle hoop attached to the center of each of the side hoops.

It might have been called the Aurora? It was the best!!

About 10 years ago the fly got very sticky and it became unusable. I called Eureka and they said the coating had degraded and there wasn't really anything I could do. It almost hurt to finally throw it out.

#140017 - 07/17/08 03:08 PM Re: Seeking Eureka! Timberline 4 tent opinions... [Re: KenK]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

I think the Aurora was the correct model name. If I found one of these on ebay I'd buy it as I also like the design. I am speculating that sticky tent flies come from being stored in hot conditions, say a garage or an attic. I've gone to storing my gear in the basement for that reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 399 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
israfaceVity, Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall
5369 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Use of mirror, helicopter pilot notices
by Phaedrus
10/03/24 05:15 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
10/01/24 12:34 AM
The price of gold
by brandtb
09/27/24 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.