Topic Options
#140310 - 07/18/08 09:29 PM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: JustinC]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: JustinC

From top to bottom, left to right:
2. Wallet
7. Chapstick

5. Magnesium Block
7. Mini-maglite with extra lamp and batteries.

4. Gerber 600 Needlenose multi-tool

Just some random suggestions...
If you find any extra money, upgrade your wallet to something like the specops brand. You'll be able to put lots of EDC goodies in there.

Switch the chapstick to one that has an SPF rating of 30 or higher, if possible. You can put it all over your face in a pinch.

I'm not a fan of the mag block, I'd rather get lots of tinder. A lot lighter and IMHO easier to work with.

Uprade your mini-mag with the LED kit, and/or switch it out for a good headlamp. I like the Takktica.

Are you allowed to carry the multitool? Having that on your belt would be much more versatile than the single blade.

Cheers!

#140317 - 07/18/08 10:15 PM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: red]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I have This watch from county comm and I love it! I can't handle all the features of a digital watch, so i have had analog for a while, and i find it amazing how many people can't read analog watches. All it has is time, date and a compass which really rocks!

(No, I am not getting paid to say this)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#140321 - 07/18/08 10:40 PM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: JustinC]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Thoughts:

I like the Stiff KISS, but tantos aren't the most versatile.

Bag the spare bulbs for the mini-mag- add the Nite-Ize LED drop in. Not the best of the kind, but I don't see the point of putting an $18 lamp into an $8 light. :P And there are a couple of head straps for it.

Duct tape, zip ties, wire.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#140340 - 07/19/08 12:23 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The 1 watt NiteIze replacement has served me very well. Get the IQ tail cap switch too and it's like having a brand new light. It's got a bit of a hot spot in the middle as the reflector isn't the ideal shape but it's 100 times better than the standard mini mag.

#140343 - 07/19/08 12:27 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: climberslacker]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: climberslacker
I have This watch from county comm and I love it! I can't handle all the features of a digital watch, so i have had analog for a while, and i find it amazing how many people can't read analog watches. All it has is time, date and a compass which really rocks!

(No, I am not getting paid to say this)

Pretty nice. I don't think I'll get another watch with an electronic compass though (and I won't order from CountyComm).

I'm thinking about getting a Casio G-Shock Mudman as a rugged watch to wear in the bush...they're sorta ugly (and digital...yuck) but the better ones are solar powered, 5 band atomic, and about as tough as a watch under $100 comes...or so I'm hearing.

#140345 - 07/19/08 12:46 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: wildman800]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I am also tough on watches and considered the military band with the protective covered over the watch face. My problem is that it then takes 2 hands to check what time it is; often my right hand is holding my pen or steering wheel/handlebars so it is not available to remove the velcro cover.

Mike

#140361 - 07/19/08 02:26 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: ]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
(and I won't order from CountyComm)

Have you had problems with them? I've never ordered from them, but I've been quite tempted several times. Including just two days ago. I always end up thinking, "I don't really need that", so I don't buy.

#140362 - 07/19/08 02:46 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: haertig]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

They will only use UPS to ship to Canada...no exceptions. I've been bent over too many times by UPS.

#140363 - 07/19/08 02:57 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: ]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
[quote=HacksawI'm thinking about getting a Casio G-Shock Mudman as a rugged watch to wear in the bush...[/quote]

I'm trying out a casio pathfinder watch that my wife got me for fathers day. I really do not like digital watches, but the feature set is amusing. I particularly like the solar + atomic aspect. Being a data hound, the alt and baro are fun but not necessary. I look forward to using the altimeter the next time I hike in the mountains, but purely from a "gee whiz" perspective.

The compass seems better than other watch/compass combos I've seen, as it is "active" and as you turn it updates continually. And i'm usually curious to know what the temp is.

Anyway, since we were on the topic...

#140365 - 07/19/08 03:15 AM Re: My Kit, with Pics [Re: JustinC]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Concerning the keychain:
It would be more self-sufficient if it had a striker, unless you plan on using a key; and it would be more fundamental if it had a loud whistle. Other than that, I think it is excellent.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 564 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.