Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139930 - 07/17/08 02:47 AM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Roarmeister]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/ Eric is an old friend of Doug and myself. If you have any knife needing a superior aftermarket system go to Eric.If you cannot justify the expense ( think system here) the alterantive is to amputate the belt portion and use the plastic sheath as a liner for a leather sheath. Lower guards are a PASSIVE safety feature. And like safety features on firearms a PASSIVE user can still get in trouble.For a dedicated survival blade they are still good insurance.Scandi Knives are woodcraft blades, and in the hands of a familiar user superb for WOODLAND survival. Remember always any survival scenario is a cessation of the norm, which includes carving spoons with your Mora. You are under stress, your knife is under stress. This is why we gravitate to more robust and safety redundant knives like the other scandi knife FALLKNIVEN and it's peers.

#139933 - 07/17/08 03:00 AM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Some of those "N" model Fallknivens have a look of a Randall about them. Never a bad thing...

#140040 - 07/17/08 03:47 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Roarmeister]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Heh heh, you must have been looking at a previous post of mine.

Dang! I seem to have unconsciously plagiarized you! I can't even deny seeing your post because I commented on the same thread. blush

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#140043 - 07/17/08 04:02 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/ Eric is an old friend of Doug and myself. If you have any knife needing a superior aftermarket system go to Eric.If you cannot justify the expense ( think system here) the alterantive is to amputate the belt portion and use the plastic sheath as a liner for a leather sheath.

It violates my cheapskate nature to buy a "superior aftermarket system" for an $11 knife, even if the total is still only $33 + shipping(x2). I may need to invest in some Kydex and try my own hand at sheath making.

#140050 - 07/17/08 04:12 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So buy 3 moras.

#140052 - 07/17/08 04:16 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
So buy 3 moras.

That's the best idea yet!

#140166 - 07/17/08 11:27 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
Originally Posted By: thseng

Sheaths: In my opinion, the sheaths are the one place where these knives fall short as a SURVIVAL tool. They are fine for everyday or around the camp use, but I would not “bet my life” on these sheaths. This is because they lack a positive retention of the knife and in the case of the Clipper, the sheath as well.

The Clipper sheath has a sturdy belt clip which is actually quite handy for everyday use as you can slip it on or off your belt quickly. The knife is held in with a light friction fit and the sheath comes about 1/3 of the way up the handle and provides a large target when replacing the knife.

The Craftsman sheath is a little bit more secure as the guard snaps into the flared part of the sheath. It is positively retained threading you belt through the hanger, but the hanger is suspiciously flimsy looking. The Craftsman sheath is ambidextrous, unlike the Clipper.

Again, the sheaths are fine and actually quite convenient for everyday use around a stationary camp where if it is dropped it is merely “misplaced” rather than lost. However, I would not trust these sheaths while moving through the woods without some additional means of retention. Any sideways pressure on the handle or vibration and the knife is now loose in the sheath held in place only by gravity. Now one hop over a log and the knife is gone.

The belt hanger on my identical Frosts Mora snapped before I even had a chance to wear it out of the house. It took very little to break it. One "loop" is still solid, but I don't trust it at all. I'm happy with the knife though, I just need to make a new sheath.

#140168 - 07/17/08 11:37 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi thseng,

I also have both of the Mora knives you posted. I am happy with the Clipper and carry it often, I also like the blade on the Craftsman but do not like the feel of the plastic handle, it is just not shaped right for me.

I agree that the sheaths are poor. Often when I sit in the truck the Clipper unclips off my belt, I need to modify it into a hanging type sheath.

Great knives for the price though.

Mike

#140225 - 07/18/08 11:55 AM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: thseng]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: thseng

Ahem.....

Are you aware that those are both carbon steel blades?
Only difference is that one of them has a polished blade.

Also I beleive that the Craftsman is the issue knife for the Swedish Army. That is as good a recommendation as it is possible to get.

#140263 - 07/18/08 02:48 PM Re: Mora Knives Clipper vs. Craftsman Faceoff [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Are you aware that those are both carbon steel blades?
Only difference is that one of them has a polished blade.

Uh, yes. Not shure where you got the impression that I thought otherwise. In fact, according to Ragnar's website:
Quote:
#740-MG; This is the same knife with a military green handle and sheath, and a carbin steel blade. The first run of these seems to have been a factory error, but proved so popular we asked for more. The military green is normally supplied with a stainless blade.

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Also I beleive that the Craftsman is the issue knife for the Swedish Army. That is as good a recommendation as it is possible to get.

No good, I've known too many Swedes.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.