Originally Posted By: Blast
+1 to the Fitzoid. I keep thinking the ETS board is yelling, "Jump! You'll learn to fly on the way down!".

-Blast

+2 and not just because I'm a SAR volunteer. It's our job to help anybody in trouble even if they got there because they were doing something they shouldn't have. I have no prejudice against those people. I do what I can to prevent it and that's why I'm here running my mouth of every day smile

I've been tempted in the past to 'go walkabout' and not tell anybody but it's just really a foolish thing to do. These days I have a wife to worry about and I wouldn't think about straying far without leaving some kind of trip plan behind with at least 2 people.

If you're in an area where there are conservation officers or rangers (or similar), find out where their stations are and mark them on your map or GPS. Pop in and say hi while you pass through. Have a chat with them. If something goes wrong, SAR will have a PLS (point last seen) to start searching from and they might even be able to tip you off about the weather forecast, dangerous animals in the area like cougars, or tell you if a river has flooded, etc. If you're transparent with them and tell them what you're doing, you're likely to get help rather than a scolding unless you're doing something illegal or obviously in over your head.