Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#139018 - 07/09/08 02:06 AM My own personal survival
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum- I seek advice because I'm about to undertake a task which will be a serious challenge to my own personal survival....

Ok, so here's the deal- Details aside, I'm being put into a position where I do not know what to do with my life. In order to get a bit of direction, I'm going to set out around the country on foot, moving towards a few people that I wish to talk to...

I am leaving from South Carolina, and have many destinations around the country where the people I wish to talk to are located, my first destination being Illinois. The biggest challenge of my trip will be the beginning, crossing the Appalachian(or Blue Ridge) Mountain range- I'm looking at being in the woods anywhere from one to two months...

I realize that the survival gear I take will be the deciding factor on whether or not I am successful. So far, I've pretty much plotted out what I'll be taking as far as:

FIRST AID: (Neosporin, bandages, band-aids, sunscreen, disinfecting wipes, so forth),

SHELTER: (tent, amy-issue inflatable mattress or mat, not sure which yet,and a wet-weather poncho)

SELF DEFENSE/TOOLS: (Tear gas/pepperspray can of mace, Smith & Wesson survival knife complete with belt sheath and sharpener(also 2 other fixed knives), leatherman, telescopic fork for cooking things, collapsible fishing pole, string, hooks, sinkers)

FOOD: I realize that I'll be in the woods a good while. Due to weight and size restrictions, I'm not going to be able to carry enough food to last the duration of time that I'll be spending in the wilderness. I'll carry a bit for emergency purposes, but I'll have to rely mainly on the things around me to keep myself alive and walking. The emergency foods will include several high-protein and high caloric foods, a bit of stuff from Army MREs will be included as well. There are many streams in the mountains which can help me out with fish. Without a gun, I will not be able to hunt the game that I'd like to... Any suggestions on trapping, or creating snares?

One part of my equipment that I will not put so much reliance on is rescue equipment. I'm going to survive, not be "rescued"... I'll have a mirror and possibly a phone, but am not relying on the fact that it will work way out there.

So if you have any additional questions about the situation, please feel free to ask. Any suggestions that you all may have as far as getting food while I'm going, or any general hiking advice, I'll gladly accept and take into consideration....

#139022 - 07/09/08 02:37 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

I would suggest that you read Worldwalk , by Steven Newman. He took off from his home, planning to walk around the world, surviving mainly on what he caught, etc. Within a few days walk he ditched most of his "survival" gear, and instead mainly stayed with people who took him in, in many different countries. He also did odd jobs for people in exchange for food and lodging. That might work for you too. Good luck, no matter which way you decide...

#139029 - 07/09/08 02:52 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Chaotiklown]
Angel Offline

I used to spend weeks at a time in the Blue Ridge mts. The animals to really be aware of are the bears, snakes and panthers. Learn the plants, there's tons of stuff to eat, we didn't see much in the way of wildlife but we did catch fish in the creeks. Stop often and listen. And don't assume that all snakes will be on the ground. I was walking through a creek and pulled back a tree branch and almost put my hand on a snake so they can be anywhere.

#139032 - 07/09/08 02:56 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Angel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...they can be anywhere..."

Indeed they can. Link

#139036 - 07/09/08 03:03 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chaotiklown Offline
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
Yes, this is also a concern of mine, probably my main concern on wildlife... Snakes are a problem, we have cottonmouths(water moccasins), and a few rattlers. As careful as I'd like to be, I realize that there is a possibility of stepping on a snake and being bitten. I've debated whether or not to wear a type of leather legging going up to my thighs... Might be too bulky? I'd carry an anti-venom kit, but they can only be obtained through doctors, and only by prescription.

#139042 - 07/09/08 03:20 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Plain old upper calf high gaiters, of a thick cordura type material, might do the trick. Or at least help a bit...

#139053 - 07/09/08 04:07 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Chaotiklown]
Spiritwalker Offline

You've set yourself quite an undertaking to say the least. I suggest that you plan your equipment for maximum sustainability without resupply. Check the threads here for ideas on what equipment might best suit your purposes such as this one; Sustainable resources-New BOB idea

For traps and snares, here's a down-loadable free e-book in pdf format; Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping and Trap Making

I'll suggest that you study up on stealth/guerrilla camping to avoid entanglements with irate landowners, people of questionable intent and law enforcement officers that won't be interested in why you're doing what you're doing, just that you're acting outside of the norm, not a resident of the area and probably breaking some law or other (knowingly or unknowingly). Make your evening fire just big enough to heat water and cook your meal, (I've used a hobo stove for years but am currently experimenting with a home-made wood-gasifier stove based on the Bushbuddy.) eat, clean up and then move on a mile or two and make a cold camp. A Hennessy Hammock makes setting up a stealth camp in the dark quick and easy and doesn't depend on a dry, flat, clear space to set up in.

#139058 - 07/09/08 05:26 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: Spiritwalker]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
You are considering a massive change in lifestyle that will severely challenge you physically and mentally. Consider giving yourself abundant preparation and transition time.

Consider Plan B. Is there another alternative that will suffice? It sounds like most of your journey now is internal: seeking your right path in life. A physical journey may support you in this effort, but maybe doing something less dhallenging would free up energy to get enough internal movement. It is possible the rigors of survival on an epic trek would take up most of your energy, leaving little for the more important journey within.

Review the Appalachian Trail thru-hike information available on the 'net. One thing I recall is that they mailed or shipped supplies ahead to stops along their route. Another is that they traveled very light.

Good luck!

#139062 - 07/09/08 07:36 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: dweste]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Have a practice; go for a few days somewhere first. And DO carry survival equipment. A mirror will do you no good with a tree canopy and no one looking for you anyway. See the gear guides on this site for expert advice.
The Sock

#139064 - 07/09/08 10:20 AM Re: My own personal survival [Re: TheSock]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I assume you've been hiking/camping before?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.