Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#137082 - 06/22/08 12:55 AM Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
http://www.thelocal.de/12617/20080620/

Warning: Picture, unrelated to article, in right-hand column may be not safe for work.

Quote:
Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Bavarian Alps

Rescue workers in the Bavarian Alps have saved an American hiker who had been missing for 70 hours in a dramatic helicopter operation after she sent a signal with her sports bra.

The unnamed 24-year-old woman from Colorado had hung her sports bra on a timber transport cable in the Berchtesgaden region near the Austrian border in hopes that someone would find her, police chief Adolph Günther told The Local on Friday.

"She was saved because she was really clever and in good physical shape," Günther said.

A worker on the timber transport discovered her sports bra hooked on the cable midday on Thursday, realized it probably belonged to the woman who had been reported missing on Monday, and immediately called the authorities. She was found just a few hours later as a helicopter circled the area and saw her waving from a 1,250-metre crag. Rescue workers staged a dramatic rescue, plucking her off the crag with a helicopter and taking her to a hospital in the valley below.

Between 60 and 80 emergency workers and five helicopters were involved in the search and rescue operation, Günther said.

The woman had been on a day hike on Monday, but lost her way as the weather turned bad, Günther said. She didn't have any supplies with her, but she was able to get water when she broke open a supply box along the timber cable line. At some point, Günther said she fell five to six metres and sustained minor injuries to her shoulder, ankle and head, but is doing well considering the circumstances.

Both of the woman's parents are with her in the hospital and she is expected to recover quickly, Günther said.

Kristen Allen (kristen.allen@thelocal.de/+49 3020 253114)

I noticed this article on Fark.com a few minutes ago. Of course, the Fark headline was “Lost hiker found after removing her bra to signal with it. Her mood was sagging and pouty, but she got perkier as soon as her rescuers lifted and separated her from the ravine.” laugh

Definitely a clever way to mark your trail!

Edited by JCWohlschlag (06/22/08 01:07 AM)
Edit Reason: Decided to copy entire article into this post due to potentially NSFW leather-clad buttocks on web page’s Highlights section.

#137084 - 06/22/08 01:04 AM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well I have on occassion come across the odd pair of womens knickers on the top of many a Munro (Mountain) over here in Scotland (usaully a G-string placed upon the top of the cairn). Who'd have thought they were actually distress signals. Well I never, you learn something new everyday. blush

Quote:
Warning: Picture, unrelated to article, in right-hand column may be not safe for work.

Too, right, clicking on that picture - justs gets you a big horned hairy german.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/22/08 01:16 AM)

#137114 - 06/22/08 04:55 AM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If her sports bra brought in a helo, my wife could draw a 747...

#137118 - 06/22/08 07:42 AM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LED Offline
Veteran

You know, come to think of it, a bra would get a hell of a lot more attention on a hiking trail than any signaling device I can think of. Pretty smart. So who's gonna be the first brave guy to start carrying a "suvival signaling bra" in your BOB?

#137135 - 06/22/08 02:03 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps [Re: LED]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...who's gonna be the first brave guy to start carrying a "suvival signaling bra" in your BOB?..."

If you're gonna do that, I would suggest a hot pink racey lacey number instead of some ho-hum basic white cotton model. And a DD as opposed to an A cup...

#137160 - 06/22/08 05:16 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Alps [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Tying something to a timber transport cable seem to be a good idea. It's dangerous, and they're going to check on it. I wonder if it was off season though.

#137165 - 06/22/08 06:27 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Al [Re: LED]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: LED
So who's gonna be the first brave guy to start carrying a "suvival signaling bra" in your BOB?

forget it; bras are for ladies.

(i never thought in a million years i'd get a chance to use that quote here.)

Edited by Erik_B (06/22/08 06:31 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#137169 - 06/22/08 06:38 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Al [Re: Erik_B]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Manzier! grin

#137175 - 06/22/08 07:59 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Al [Re: Nicodemus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Bet it was the fastest, most enthusiastic SAR turnout in history.

;-)

#137191 - 06/22/08 09:28 PM Re: Bra missive saves American hiker missing in Al [Re: dougwalkabout]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Bet it was the fastest, most enthusiastic SAR turnout in history.

;-)

Reminds me of that episode of "COPS" where a unclothed (intoxicated) woman was doing aerobics in a park at night. Needless to say all police, fire/rescue units showed up for that one. Must have been the quickest response time ever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 510 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
08/24/24 11:08 PM
Alaskan attacked by a bear and shot
by Phaedrus
08/23/24 07:43 AM
Woman Lost 4 Days in Colorado Mountains Is Rescued
by dougwalkabout
08/22/24 10:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.