Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#137419 - 06/24/08 01:26 PM Weaving or braiding a paracord belt?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I know there are instructions ourt there somewhere for the3 knots or braids used to make a paracord belt, but the one link I can find to a UK URL does not work. I would like to make a paracord belt or three, some lanyards, etc. as a way to put a lot of paracord into my EDC and other gear.

Anybody got a link that works?

I am also not finding aglets(sp?), the things used as tips of shoelaces, which I would like to find to use in paracord shoelaces. (Yes, I know you can melt and "smear" the nylon to get sort of a point).

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (06/24/08 01:29 PM)

#137426 - 06/24/08 02:02 PM Re: Weaving or braiding a paracord belt? [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
As far as a lanyard, I will look for a link on how to do so, but I'll try to explain a simple box stitch.

You being with two about equal length pieces of line (I'm a sailor, to me it's line not rope). Lay one down running perpindicular to you. Lay the second line on top of that one in a "Z" shape. Take the end of the first line near you, lay it over the bottom strand on the "Z" and then tuck it under the top corner on the "Z". Take the end of the first line that is on the other side of the "Z", lay it over the top strand on the "Z" and tuck it under the bottom corner of the "Z". Pull it all snug, then you make another knot passing each line over and under the strands running in the opposite direction. It's easier usually to make a loop with one strand, and then pull tight over that strand the strand that locks it down. Rotate again, do it with another strand, and then the fourth strand gets tucked into the first loop. After the first two knots, I even out the lengths of line. I use about 6 foot strands to make a lanyard. When down to about 4-6 inches each, I like to back splice the ends back into the lanyard. The backsplice looks neat, and if I ever need to unravel it all, it won't take too long.

If you look at this link and see the picture next to the phrase "Now comes the PULLING! Slowly begin to PULL the strands to create the first stitch!" The black strand would be what I called that "Z", and the yellow one would have been lying underneath it to begin. Link: http://www.boondoggleman.com/prj_starting_square.htm

I've seen some places recommend taking the core out, but I don't. THAT's the strength of the line. The cover protects the core.

#137428 - 06/24/08 02:09 PM Re: Weaving or braiding a paracord belt? [Re: dweste]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Is this the one you want?

Slatts Rescue Belt

Pete

#137431 - 06/24/08 02:22 PM Re: Weaving or braiding a paracord belt? [Re: paramedicpete]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Yep. For some reason I couldn't get there from here. Thanks!

#137434 - 06/24/08 02:40 PM Re: Weaving or braiding a paracord belt? [Re: dweste]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Here's a decent set of instructions for a lanyard, except her takes out the core. That really weakens the line. http://armyadvice.org/blogs/armysteve/articles/9736.aspx

I've been trying to figure out how to make a decent belt, but mostly time has been conspiring against me. I'd like one that has two metal loops at one end, and nothing but cord at the other.

#137435 - 06/24/08 02:44 PM Re: Weaving or braiding a paracord belt? [Re: Dan_McI]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

D-rings could be your loops.

I'm not sure about good ways to end the belt without hardware.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 859 Guests and 54 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
The price of gold
by brandtb
Yesterday at 07:40 PM
Hurricane/Tropical Depression Francine Cometh
by wildman800
09/11/24 05:58 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
09/01/24 05:57 PM
Best TSA Safe Multitool
by Doug_Ritter
08/31/24 02:57 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.