MY BOB is set up to let me grab it and go forage. It lacks water, but if I cna find water, I should be set for a good number of days, without relying on anything else. Food will become a concern, soon enough, but my BOB should allow me to try to obtain some food. But, the BOB is a just a bag, a bag for me to grab and go RIGHT NOW or as soon as I can get to it. (My EDC I envision as a really poor BOB, to keep me going until I get to my BOB or to allow me to forego getting it, if need be.)

If I have time, i.e. if the hurricane is coming to NYC and I get an hour to decide whether to leave or not, then I can pack the car and take more things. And trust me, I plan on it. I plan on taking a heck of a lot more food and water, and some more comfort items and clothes. But all that will not take me long to get together. Much of it is already in the in apt. cache.

As with Blast, my plans are to head to a hotel or a home at which I am welcome (Hi Mom and Dad). My BOB is really for when I am not yet there. If I can get there, much of it might be redundant.

The plans get more complicated with children. For those 3-5, then can carry something. Let them carry some toys. Put toys in a small bag, for in case, and let them stay there. Make that bag, the special place for each of them to keep the favorite toys. If you kids are carrying their entertainment, then they are helping big time. If it comes time to bug, then make it part of an adventure. It worked well for the character in "Life if Beautiful." Don't forget also, an empty box is a great toy. Kids have imagination, esp. when younger. Age stifles imagination.